Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ready to get PIC programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARINE1142

I got this book from a friend of mine on PIC and wanted to get started on it but cant seem to find a programmer kit with the board,Zip and compliar
does anyone know were to get this I would build it but dont know were to get the board and thought there would be one out on the market faily cheap already made?

One more thing when I get a programmer does it matter if it programs the 18 series of pic what is the differents between the 16 or 18?

18... are more complicated and more powerful than 16 series. some have USB suport etcetc.etc. www.microchip.com answers all your questions.

ICD2 all the way. Whether it be Microchip's, a clone like the one from OLIMEX, or a home brew one, the ICD2 is the best value out there. It is very fast, interfaces directly with MPLAB, supports just about every PIC device in existence from the 10F all the way to the dsPIC33F, and it allows you to read the contents of registers directly from the PIC.

If you are serious about programming PICs, it is worth every penny.

I have a Warp13 prog from Newfound Electronics. Very nice, very well documented and fast fast fast! When you program something big like a PIC18 it helps development along when the code flashes so fast.

I ran into trouble awhile back when I had a newer PIC18 and Warp13 didn't support it. The situation persisted for awhile and I laid down the $$$ for the Microchip programmer. I found its programming interface to be less helpful and it's far, far slower. Also no ICP header so I'd need to hack in a wire wrap socket or something. Then like the next week Warp13's page has a software update for supporting the new chip and it bugged the hell outta me.

Oznog said:
I have a Warp13 prog from Newfound Electronics. Very nice, very well documented and fast fast fast! When you program something big like a PIC18 it helps development along when the code flashes so fast.

I ran into trouble awhile back when I had a newer PIC18 and Warp13 didn't support it. The situation persisted for awhile and I laid down the $$$ for the Microchip programmer. I found its programming interface to be less helpful and it's far, far slower. Also no ICP header so I'd need to hack in a wire wrap socket or something. Then like the next week Warp13's page has a software update for supporting the new chip and it bugged the hell outta me.

Certainly for a good while the Warp13 was discontinued, and he stopped all support and updates for it - there was never any explanation?, but it's good to see it's back again. However, I suspect the ICD2 clones will make it rather pointless now?.

phalanx said:
ICD2 all the way. Whether it be Microchip's, a clone like the one from OLIMEX, or a home brew one, the ICD2 is the best value out there. It is very fast, interfaces directly with MPLAB, supports just about every PIC device in existence from the 10F all the way to the dsPIC33F, and it allows you to read the contents of registers directly from the PIC.

If you are serious about programming PICs, it is worth every penny.
I totally agree, ICD2 solved all my problems. Now I can program any PIC I want (except 12Cxx which I don't want to :lol: )

The ICD2 board does not have a 40pin zif is that a big deal and what kind of software do I need the book refers to picbasic compliar is that what I need along with this board?

Most people don't use sockets but rather in-circuit system programming (ICSP). You don't have to pull the chip out and put it in the burner to update the firmware. saves a huge amount of time.

ICD2 is a good recommendation but you can get cheaper. Sparkfun has an ICD2 serial clone for about $50. I'd go for the USB version, though. If you want to go cheap, you can get programmers for less than $20 or you can build one for even less.

Phil

No, you don't need to buy a compiler. there are a number free trial versions. start with that. by the time you need the $$$ features, you will know what you need.

However, you should figure out which programming language you should learn (C, asm, Basic, pascal, ...). That's been bashed to death here - seach for "pic compiler"

My Serial ICD2 Clone (cost approx $10)... Build your own target programming adapter board with 40-pin ZIF socket...

Attachments

• pic_programming_sockets.jpg
    pic_programming_sockets.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 742
Has anyone had a look at these:

**broken link removed**

It seems like good value and have been considering upgrading my P16PRO40 to one.

ChriX said:
Has anyone had a look at these:

**broken link removed**

It seems like good value and have been considering upgrading my P16PRO40 to one.

It is cheap but what an odd design. uses serial I/O for access and USB for power. It's not clear to me that the zif socket comes with it - title says yes but "Package content" (sic) doesn't list it. either sloppy or sneaky.

I posted simplified ICD2 USB clone schematics and PCB at
**broken link removed**

I have few pre-made if someone need them.

Pictures
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back