Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reason for Four Inputs (U+ U- I+ I-) on an impedance analyzer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

This is something I've wondered about for quite a while and even after combing through some HP and Agilent manuals, I still don't have the exact answer. On a lot of impedance analyzers and RLC meters, I'll see BNC connectors on the front panel that are marked "U+ U- I+ I-" or more commonly "Hcur Lcur Hpot Lpot." I'm sure this refers to differential voltage and current-sensing amplifiers inside the instrument but I had a few questions about that...

- Why are there four inputs and a ground (vs maybe just one or two inputs, plus ground)?

- Is there a name for this "architecture?"

- Has anyone come across a full schematic of this input "architecture?" (I have only found summaries)

Attachments

• Fixture_check.png
    Fixture_check.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 114
Wiki (and Google) is your friend.

Hardy har har. A simple "it's called four-terminal sensing" will do. Thanks though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back