Recomended Breadboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewGuy

Hey Everyone!
I've been getting into EE, and I want to invest in a breadboard. Do you guys have any suggestions? I was thinking of getting one like this one. For that one, radioshack has free shipping until tomorrow (January 17, 2010), so I was debating to get that one for $20 bucks, or get this bigger one that is very pricey ($22 + $10 shipping). I plan to use this throughout college, so should I start with the smaller one, or invest in a bigger long term one?

On another note, I have a power supply from a Cannon printer that outputs 24V DC current (I think it is DC), and what I could do is use a 5, 9, or 12V voltage regulator transistor to take the voltage down to what I need. Is using a transistor for regulating voltage hard to do?

Thanks Everyone,
-TheNewGuy

If I were you I'd get something like **broken link removed**.

For stepping down your 24 VDC you can use a 7805 (5V), a 7809 (9V), a 7812 (12V), or a 317 (adjustable) volatage regulator.

Last edited:

As a new EE, a power supply will be the cornerstone of your equipment arsenal. I would suggest you purchase a nice adjustable supply that has ample current and reliability.

....or if you're improvising and you have lots of extra cellphone chargers you can hack one and have a steady 5.0V supply for your electronics.

....or if you're improvising and you have lots of extra cellphone chargers you can hack one and have a steady 5.0V supply for your electronics.

As a EE, a good bench supply is a tool of the trade. A mechanic buys a good set of wrenches and sockets, an EE needs proper tools as well, power supply being one of them. Three essential items an EE student should have and not scrimp on. A good solder station, DVM, and a power supply. That's just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

I'd get the small one, but would buy it locally for about $6 - $9 max. Radio Shack is high priced.

I would buy several - especially if you have lab tests. The contacts become somewhat unreliable with use, so I would want a new board for a lab test. Use the older one for everyday, then when you need it, you have a new one in your locker.

When I first started out, I got the biggest and best because I wanted a good one which would last. The trouble is - they don't!

Edit:
On the power supply, I tend to agree with Mikebits, however my power supply is a home built analog supply. I keep re-making it and improving it. I'd like a nice commercial one, but they do cost..

Last edited:
I'm going to try to look locally and find one, then maby order online or something.

This might be another thread, but:
Any tips/suggestions for someone who is going into EE?

MPJA - Power Supply, Power Supplies, Security Cameras, LCD, Fans, Etc. has quiet a few solderless breadboards as well as a large selection of power supplies and very useful tools.
SOLDERLESS POWERED BREADBOARD WITH METERS-MPJA, Inc.
Is the most expensive they have, but it has built in voltage meters and power supplies, if that's over your price range they have units like this
830 T/P CLEAR CASE SOLDERLESS BREADBOARD-MPJA, Inc.
That one's clear which is the first time I've seen it, seems like a nice feature that you can actually see if the pins are making contact or if anything is wrong with the spring clamps internally, and they're only 5 dollars. They have a handful of other ones as well.
MPJA - Power Supply, Power Supplies, Security Cameras, LCD, Fans, Etc. just look for breadboard. They have some pretty large ones for under 20 dollars, and their shipping costs are very reasonable.

I do agree. But I have a habit of hacking appliances, it's in the blood. Here's my homemade rechargeable pack:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RPO_T8Hdphc/SqPPNgTnlNI/AAAAAAAAAB0/_i5A6bzQtVc/s1600-h/Charger.JPG
couldn't resist telling him too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…