Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend a simple 8 direction compass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

I have a compass and temperature readout in my car. The compass simply shows N,S,E,W and NE, NW, SE, SW. Anyone have a simple electronic chip that does this?

I looked at the HMC6352 from Honeywell, but it requires calibration, and it too much for what I need. Anyone have a simple cheap solution?:confused:

Manufacturers do not make a single compass IC that converts the readings for human use (it's not profitable because it is too specific and there are far too many types of visual interfaces to accomodate for). In addition, with electronic compasses you need to know which way is down. They all need additional hardware around them to do this and output a visual display.

A gimballed magnetic ball realy is the cheapest solution for this...or a pre-made car electronic compass.

Last edited:
Manufacturers do not make a single compass IC that converts the readings for human use (it's not profitable because it is too specific and there are far too many types of visual interfaces to accomodate for). In addition, with electronic compasses you need to know which way is down. They all need additional hardware around them to do this and output a visual display.

A gimballed magnetic ball realy is the cheapest solution for this...or a pre-made car electronic compass.

Thanks, I never said I wanted a visual display, just a basic compass. I am very familiar with I2C and SPI interfaces, and have programmed both. I just wanted to know if there was a cheaper solution that doesn't give extreme accuracy or needs calibration, like the ones in the cars.

Hi Analog.
I do have that same compass with 8 headings display I canibalized from a wreck yard. You can do the same; you already know the donor car model that has it waiting for you.
Simpler and cheaper... I doubt it. Use it as is, or extract the IC you want.
Miguel

Hi Analog.
I do have that same compass with 8 headings display I canibalized from a wreck yard. You can do the same; you already know the donor car model that has it waiting for you.
Simpler and cheaper... I doubt it. Use it as is, or extract the IC you want.
Miguel

Have any idea which IC they use?

That sensor in the link is not the one inside my unit. Mine uses a ~ 28 mm ⌀ fluxgate coil assembly similar to this :

**broken link removed**

The IC is a Motorola processor and over a dozen other ics. Cannot remember which car was the donor.

Another: **broken link removed**

Miguel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back