Record-breaking battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.o.

Hi, all,

Panasonic builds the longest lasting AA alkaline battery named Evolta. Guinness certified such record-breaking. It claimed to have 20% longer than Duracell, Energizer and Oxyride. The cost in Japan will be 590 yens per a pack of 4 and the cell life will be ten years.

Last edited:
The Evolta is only 20% (according to Panasonic) that a typical Alkaline from Duracell.
In most cases it's still far more economical to use NiMH AA batteries.
That 10yr lifespan is shelf life.

yes please people its time to be environmentally friendly and at the rate guys like us use batteries it s always FAR cheaper to use NiMH, and start telling your friends and family too ! I think adverts for alkaline should be banned and they should encourage the use of rechargeables, ever wondered why duracel don't make recharegeables only REAL big battery companies do and companies that don't rely soley on batteries as their products,
I used to have panasonic NiCd rechargeables and they lasted me 4-5 years insyead of the stated 3 so its not like its news

Duracel does make rechargables, pretty good ones too. Check the camera section at Walmart, 8 for about $17.

then why dont the b@stards advertise them ? in italy they have tons of adverts on how their alkalines last 10 times longer or something than normals so as you see I never knew they made them so I won't buy them from duracvel unless I see them nbut would probably assume they are non rechargeables.....

the entire world should be on rechargeable batteries by now, i admit the stamina of a alkaline is nice, but they are very wasteful, not to mention throwing all those chemicals in the landfill.

crusty said:
the entire world should be on rechargeable batteries by now, i admit the stamina of a alkaline is nice, but they are very wasteful, not to mention throwing all those chemicals in the landfill.
They can be recharged as well using special curcuitry that isn't all that complex. The only trick to alkalines is not to let them run down completely so they can then be recharged. There are several charger circuits on the I-net to safely recharge alkalines.

well i've seen many dumba$$es put them in a NiMh charger, never seen them explode, but they've gotten pretty warm, can't say much for the charger also..

its just time to move on NiMH are as powerful and cheap as alkaline so why bother just use NiMH those con rthings are old fashioned and were for idiots that didn't want to pay a little extra (although saving 100s in the long run) for the right batteries and just got themselves ripped off

Because NiMh are only 1.2V instead of 1.5V, and there are plenty of applications where they aren't much use.

I use only alkaline in my seldom-used (stored) flashlights, fire alarms, GPS, travel clocks, emergency equipment, and other similar items, because of their extremely low self-discharge rate.

I use NiCd in anything that I don't want to recharge often (or in high current drain applications), such as my communications scanners, amateur radios, power tools, and other similar items. They have a lower self-discharge rate than NiMH (though still significantly higher than alkaline) and their lower internal resistance is a plus for applications where current drain is an issue.

I rarely use NiMH. Their higher self-discharge rate (which only increases with capacity) make them impractical for many of the situations for which I need batteries. I use them mainly for items that I don't mind recharging nightly or after only a few days of use (or in low current drain applications), such as digital cameras, digital camcorders, most toys, video game controllers (and portable consoles), high-use (non-stored) flashlights, desk (bench) clocks, portable FM radios, and other similar items. Many of these items have been replaced with similar items that now use Li or Li-ion batteries, which I much prefer over NiMH (which was originally created for automotive use).

Neither NiCd or NiMH work well in items where voltage-sensitivity is an issue.

---

By the way, here is a link to Duracell's product page on rechargeable batteries, confirming that they do, indeed, sell such products.
https://www.duracell.com/products/rechargeable.asp

Last edited:
Thunderchild said:
hm interesting so can you get li-ion batteries as standard AA and AAA ?

Not that I'm aware of, but you can purchase from the onset items which use Li-ion packs instead of requiring consumable batteries. For example: my newer cameras, video recorder, and Nintendo DS use Li-on packs, whereas my older camera, handheld camcorder, and Gameboy Advance required the use of consumable batteries. I have also seen toys, desk (bench) clocks, portable FM radios, and many other items which used to require consumable batteries and are now using rechargeable Li-ion packs in their stead.

hm would be nice to see some li AAs like you say NIMH do discharge fast perhaps some of the batteries I thought were bad are not so bad...

Energizer make lithium non-rechargeable 9V, AAA and AA cells that outlast alkaline cells.

Ordinary Ni-MH cells have a higher voltage at the end of a discharge than alkaline cells.

New Ni-MH rechargeable cells come pre-charged and have much less self-discharge than before. But their capacity is less.

Lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries are extremely dangerous because they catch on fire if over-discharged or over-charged.

Attachments

• AAA alkaline-lithium.PNG
    21.6 KB · Views: 343
  • AAA Alkaline-Ni-MH comparison.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 280
I've seen 1.5V lithium cells before and I've always wondered how they do it, I always thought lithium cells were 3V.

I don't know how Energizer makes a 3V lithium disposeable battery produce only 1.5V.
They have a current-limiter circuit inside to prevent a nasty fire if they are shorted.

I'm always suprised at those claims but facts are NEVER given.
And price is usually astronomical !!

I like to know Ah capacity and discharge rate under certain load conditions.

For the 1.2 V versus 1.5 V batteries for portable appliances.

Manufacturers could make 5 slot compartments with one dummy cell in it.
e.g. for 6 Volts, use 4 normal 1.5V cells with the dummy in series.
For Nicad etc fit 5 cells.

Ok it adds to extra cost, space etc. just my $0.02 worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…