Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Record movements: Accelerometer, Gyroscope or IMU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1981

Hello Community!

I have to built a sensor for a project, but have no idea of all the electronics-stuff (I am a total beginner, but willing to learn).

I need to record movements of a person. So somebody will carry a small device and I would like to know if he is moving or resting or running.

What is the best sensor, to record this? Accelerometer, Gyroscope or IMU?

As the device should be quite small, I need some sensor, that is not that big. Do you have any suggestions or experience what to use?

Appreciate all your suggestions and help. Thank you in advance!

An accelerometer would probably work. It can readily detect movement and Analog Devices, among others, sells many such devices in small IC form. A µC could be used to analyze the signal and descriminate between moving, walking, resting, or running.

Thank you very much for your efforts and your reply!

So accelerometer should do it (somehow). Unfortunately, I have no idea about designing circuits (at least, I do not know where to start from at the moment). Do you maybe have some ideas for me where to start?
How do I implement the µC to analyze the different user-states (resting, running, walking, ...)? Sorry, but I am completely new to this topic ...

Thanks again for all your time and efforts!

Thank you very much for your efforts and your reply!

So accelerometer should do it (somehow). Unfortunately, I have no idea about designing circuits (at least, I do not know where to start from at the moment). Do you maybe have some ideas for me where to start?
How do I implement the µC to analyze the different user-states (resting, running, walking, ...)? Sorry, but I am completely new to this topic ...

Thanks again for all your time and efforts!

hi,
As you are not requiring to measure/analyse the dynamic movement of the wearer, have you considered a simple vibration sensor.

The vibration sensor could be a simple weight/spring or pendulum switch mechanism that could be clipped to the subjects belt, like the pedometers you can buy.

Hi,
lots of accelerometers are available form Analog Devices and other sources as Carl mentioned. For a beginner, accelerometer may be a better option as they normally come with on-chip signal conditioning, hence, eliminate much of the analog circuit designing.
Also, some are available with serial interfaces (UART, SPI, I2C) which can be directly interfaced with a microcontroller.
Do little googling, you'll find them plenty!

For differentiating between resting, running or walking, the best way would be to first buy sensor, interface with a uc and measure actual response of the sensor for deciding the thresholds.

---------------
Design with Microcontrollers

Last edited:
Another route would be a micro GPS module and a PIC, 3 or possibly 4 wires between the them. It would be able to detect if you were stationary, moving slowly, running, or jumped on the bus!

You would only need to divise a way to retrieve the memory (possibly to a pc, or displayed on an LCD)

Although it would be ABLE to give you the wearers location, you need not record it. Just record info based on speed, or your own interpreted data based on it.

Total cost from ebay parts approx £20-£25 max (could be done cheaper if your thrifty)

EDIT: Just looked on the bay, and they dont seem to have any on just now, but they were something like this, only about £8.95 from a Hong Kong seller.

RF Solutions Ltd Board Level GPS Receiver Module

Very small, very lightweight

Last edited:
hi fren i found

Hi fren

Here I am working on Accelerometer to find the speed of a person.

And I am trying to get step length by using this accelerometer but I dont have exact thought how to get it.

But it is helpful to your idea of measuring a person walk, rest, run status.

KXP84-1050 is MEMS sensor of kionix company product will needful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back