Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

recorder and playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmtoukhy

I want to make a recorder/playback{5 sec} using external adc,dac and using microcontroller but i really don't know any thing about them (how to program it,which to choose )so i'd really appreciate any help:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

actually i have done all that . It just i know nothing about micro controllers and I'm required to make this project as an assignment in my faculty so i thought someone can play the role of a guidence and help me with this.

ahmtoukhy said:
i really don't know any thing about them (how to program it,which to choose )

It would be quicker and far easier to buy one as a kit

**broken link removed**
3064 - 120 Second Voice Recorder (ISD25120 ChipCorder)

ahmtoukhy said:
actually i have done all that . It just i know nothing about micro controllers and I'm required to make this project as an assignment in my faculty so i thought someone can play the role of a guidence and help me with this.

Now it is I who do not understand. How can you have done all that and not know anything about microcontrollers? Could be a language problem. You cay you have programmed micocontrollers but know nothing about them. That does not make sense.

What do you know how to do in regard to micocontrollers ?
What languages can you program in ?
Are you required to use ASM or C for the project.
Is there specific hardware you must use?

OK. my mistake actually I never used a micro controller before but i have an assignment to deliver in 10 days so i need to know exactly what to do not to try to do simpler projects (maybe later).
So I got a programe called MPLAb but I don't know how to use it.
I think if I used this programe I will have to use asm.
about hardware i have to use a micro controller with no inside adc or dac
and I'll need an input signal conditioning and o/p signal conditioning circuits.

thanks for your concern.....:) :)

This baffles me.

No instructor in his/her right mind would ask you to do audio record/playback without first teaching you microcontroller basics.

Maybe they tried to teach you the basics but you asked and got all the solutions off the net ? Are you in school to learn or just get a good grade ?

No one here is going to do your work for you. There is help here if you get stuck but you have to be making an effort.

Question you should have already answered.
What do you have to work with.
What is the PIC number ie: PIC16F877
What ADC will you be using?
What DAC will be using?
Can you program in ASM ?
Do you have access to an ICD such as the ICD2.

Here is what you need to do.
Start by getting the datasheet for your processor, ADC, and DAC.
Then break in down into steps.
  • Write code to read a single value from the ADC.
  • Write code to write a single value to the DAC.
  • Then write a loop to sample the ADC and write it to the DAC. With a mic hooked to the ADC input and a speaker on the DAC output the speaker should play what is heard by the mic.
  • Once you have all that working all you need to do is store 5 seconds of data and play it back latter.

The biggest problem here is the amount of memory required for 5 seconds of audio - even assuming a poor bandwidth (say just under 2KHz), you're looking at 4000 samples per second, so 20,000 bytes of memory for 5 seconds.

Although as 3v0 says, a good idea is to just digitise the audio and play directly back, to check the main routines (which will be most of the programming), then see about adding the storage and playback routines (which will be pretty easy). But you need to get the memory and the rest of the hardware sorted out first!.

responding to 3v0...We really never took any thing about micro controller before this project..They are trying to taught us how to learn by ourrselves
And actually this project I'm not doing it alone we are asked to form groups from 4 to 8.
we took the adc and dac and all about I/p signal,O/p signal conditioning circuits (all in books we didn't use in lab) but not the micro controllers which is the main problem for us..
about the other things we were thinking of 0804 adc and 0832 dac
we will need to use 40 pins pic as we will have to use external memory(eeprom) [we have to store the data as required]
One of the group can use asm. as i only used in programming c++,matlab
But still i can't understand the pic datasheet, how to read,write and dealing with different ports(The commands used)
So you got to understand me I'm not trying to ask you to do my work i'm really asking for help so let's leave the whole project and concentrate on the pic...I need help to understand it as it's totally new thing to me

You should start by reading the sticky and then I would recommend **broken link removed**.

Mike.

ahmtoukhy said:
we will need to use 40 pins pic as we will have to use external memory(eeprom) [we have to store the data as required]

Like I said above, the memory is your problem - and EEPROM is VERY slow, too slow to write audio to in real time, check the write time of the EEPROM.

ahmtoukhy said:
responding to 3v0...We really never took any thing about micro controller before this project..They are trying to taught us how to learn by ourrselves
And actually this project I'm not doing it alone we are asked to form groups from 4 to 8.
we took the adc and dac and all about I/p signal,O/p signal conditioning circuits (all in books we didn't use in lab) but not the micro controllers which is the main problem for us..
about the other things we were thinking of 0804 adc and 0832 dac
/QUOTE]

ahmtoukhy,
None of this changes the root problem, you want to learn to do a non-trival project in ten days and do not know microprocesor basics.

If you want to program microprocessors you have to study them. You say you do not have time to do the online tutorials. There is no way around that. In the time since you started this thread you could have worked you way through a few of them.

Understanding the datasheet is important. If you can not figure it out maybe the guy that knows ASM can help you get started. If not find someone who can. If you have a specific question you can ask it here. We can not help you with "I do not understand the datasheet".

The steps provided by myself are a very good place to start on the project once you figure out the datasheets.

Then there is this matter of not answering the ALL questions people put to you.

I none of this helps what exactly do you want us to say or do for you ?

3v0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back