Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reducing current to 4-20mA for measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

phared

Hi,

I want to acquire current data range between 3-5A (according to motor's load), at 24VDC applied to a motor. How to reduce the current to 4-20mA range so it can be read in the NI DAQ card? Many thanks.

I use a hall effect sensor similar to these. They are pretty common so the link is just an example. In this case the unit linked to will output 4 to 20 mA for a current of 0 to 5 ADC. THere are also ways to build your own but for commercial applications I go with off the shelf solutions.

Ron

some theory when you use op amp

if we measure the current using a resistor -R1,
Gain set to the op Amp G
input voltage clamp -Vc
out put resistance -R2
then you have

at 3A the out put current to load R2 must be 4mA
so we have ... G (3R1-Vc)/R2 =4
similar for 5A case then we have G (5R1-Vc)/R2 = 20

if we divide above equations the solution would be Vc= 2.5 R1
also we will get GR1 = 8R2

the values can be set to get required value of mA for a particular load R2 for the range 3-5A.

sorry i couldn't sketch a diagram for you.
if it for industrial application then always go for a ready made one.

Another option: place a low Ohms shunt resistor (~1mΩ) in series with the positive motor lead, and then use a "high-side-current-monitor" like a ZXCT1009 or similar to produce a ground-referenced voltage or current proportional to the current flowing to the motor...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back