Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reflector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Ok, this doesnt quite qualify as an electronic component but I shall start here anyway.

For my project I have an infared TX and RX housed on a single PCB.

I want the infrared to be bounced ofF a reflective surface back on to the receiver.

Any ideas what might work or where i could look for a reflector?

Many Thanks

Mark

Saftey reflective tape, I believe that works in the IR range? Could be mistaken. Tin foil, or any polished metal surface make excellent IR reflectors.

UTMonkey said:
Ok, this doesnt quite qualify as an electronic component but I shall start here anyway.

For my project I have an infared TX and RX housed on a single PCB.

I want the infrared to be bounced ofF a reflective surface back on to the receiver.

Any ideas what might work or where i could look for a reflector?

Many Thanks

Mark

hi,
The small 'bycyle' type reflectors work OK, ideally you want a 'retro-prism' but they are not cheap!.:)

Eric,
The bicycle reflectors you mentioned are actually arrays (hundreds?) of little retro-reflectors just like the corner-cube device you also mentioned. One difference is that they're not usually silvered for ~100% reflection.
Jeff

jbeng said:
Eric,
The bicycle reflectors you mentioned are actually arrays (hundreds?) of little retro-reflectors just like the corner-cube device you also mentioned. One difference is that they're not usually silvered for ~100% reflection.
Jeff

hi Jeff,
I agree, the retro-prisms I was referring to are for long range laser distance measurement.
Upto about 5000mtrs 45mm dia retro's, you can also buy a professional version 'cycle' type, flat and silvered.
These worked for me upto about 250/500mtrs range.

The 'budget' clients used to buy car/bike reflectors and fasten a dozen or so on a sighting board,
these worked fine for harbour and river work.

Regards

UTMonkey said:
Eric, you said the magic word - "Budget"!

Hi ut,

Thats the magic word for all my canny Derbyshire contacts...:D

Did you try the bike reflector, is so, did it work.?

Other members may have a similar tight budget.:p

Simple metalic reflecting paper with sticker gum on the otherside is OK and one can fix it anywhere by just peeling off the wax paper . these are generally sold in Graphic printing material shops in India- perhaps any stationary shop shold have them.

mvs sarma said:
Simple metalic reflecting paper with sticker gum on the otherside is OK and one can fix it anywhere by just peeling off the wax paper . these are generally sold in Graphic printing material shops in India- perhaps any stationary shop shold have them.

Hi Sarma,
An even cheaper way, is to raid your family kitchen cupboard for aluminium cooking foil.:p

ericgibbs said:
Hi Sarma,
An even cheaper way, is to raid your family kitchen cupboard for aluminium cooking foil.:p

In fact, the TV remote signal working on IR principle is able get reflected from the walls and ceiling of my hall. amlost it is working at diatances of 5 to 8 metres

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back