Refurbished Elecronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelly

I am planning on purchasing some MP3 players and a video game system. I found a website that makes these electronics really cheap. Is it a good idea to buy this stuff refurbished?? I am also on a budget can I trust this site and would it be a smart way to go???

Yeah, first question is what site? There are reputable resellers of refurbished items and there are also some very shady dealers out there. You may want to check the sellers ratings, Google can be your best friend.

Ron

Yeah, first question is what site? There are reputable resellers of refurbished items and there are also some very shady dealers out there. You may want to check the sellers ratings, Google can be your best friend.

Ron

The site I am referring to is edexdeals.com I have never heard of them, and where on google can I check their ratings???

I looked with a Google of edexdeals.com ratings and also edexdeals.com reviews and didn't see anything bad or specifically good. I did see a forum where one of their reps jumped in and answered a few questions. Personally, no I have never dealt with them. Do they look legit? Yes, they seem to. Again, nothing bad out there I saw. My take is generally the old if it seems too good to be true... I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully someone here familiar with them can add something constructive.

Ron

I don't know the site, but refurbished anything is a gamble. These are usually items returned to the factory, and can not be resold as new. Could be there was nothing wrong with the item, the package was ripped open by a consumer, who later returned it to the store for a refund. Could have been something simple, that slipped past quality control, repaired, repackaged. My Element 32" TV is refurbished, got horrible reviews, lots of scary comments for the new, but at $289 shipped to my door, and tired of a 17" computer monitor I'd been using in place of my fried rear-projection, took a chance. TV works great, had it about a year now, not a glitch. You usually get a warranty, but sometimes only a few months. I've never had a problem buying refurbished stuff I was pretty sure I could repair if need, and seldom need to. Just make sure it wasn't junk to begin with.

Thank you for your feedback. You are right Harvey, I guess it would be taking a gamble. Since I am on a buget, in this case I would take a chance purchasing some small items to start off with. If anyone in this forum has purchased from this site please let me know...thanks in advance!!

ON the other hand, I've bought lots of refurbished computers, most from Dell, and they've all worked great. I've even bought some for friends, and never got any complaints. I can't even count all the money I've saved by going this route.

Last edited:
I noticed at the edexdeals website, the majority of the computers they refurbish are by Dell, so I will definitely take a chance with them. I also did notice that this company seems to be all over the world, I guess that gives me a bit of security.

The problem with "FACTORY REFURBISHED" is often the items never actually get returneds to the factory but instead are sent to a factory authorized service center where upon any Joe Techie attempts to restore things back to factory specifications and then gets tagged as Factory refurbished. I do know that Dell does refurbish their own PC in house, before they even make it out the door. Units that failed inspection on the line, are returned to a department where they are gone over again and then retagged and discounted. So shop wisely and carefully about "factory refurbished" items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…