Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regarding attenuator for my guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinM2

Banned
I have visited a site [link deleted - moderator] to purchase attenuator but did not know which one to pick from n/bnc/sma/ and other types of attenuator for my electric guitar. Please help me out

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't quite answer what you want, but you shoud read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attenuator_(electronics)

You will need an audio attenuator, otherwise the knob won't ave a linear realtion wit volume.

You do not want an N, BNC nor SMA connector.

Apparently? there is a power attenuator for a guitar amp.

I dont have a clue the output Z of a guitar pickup. I do BELIEVE that they use a 1/4" phone plugs/jacks.

Last edited:
I dont have a clue the output Z of a guitar pickup. I do BELIEVE that they use a pone plug.

They almost universally use a 1/4 inch jack socket, and the output impedance of a passive guitar is fairly high (you want 1meg upwards input impedance on the amp), an active guitar has a far lower output impedance, and a slightly higher output.

However, there doesn't appear to be any requirement for an attenuator?, as guitar amps are designed to be used with guitars, and guitars have a level control on them.

The OP really needs to post more information, assuming it's not just a spam post advertising the link he included? (which I'll delete.).

People use attenuators on the outputs of tube amps, so you can turn the amp power right up (to make it sound good!) but the attenuator keeps the sound level tolerable. Some attenuators are silent and just have a line output plug, so you can run the amp at full tilt and plug the "speaker" into recording equipment.

Maybe a "dummy load" is a better term for these devices but they do actually attenuate as you can have the load at 100W but only divert 10W of that to the speaker.

The first post does seem a bit spammy. :)

the output impedance of a guitar is anywhere from 20k to 100k for most passive pickups. an onboard preamp brings this down to 500 ohms or so (or even lower). since the "standard" output level of a guitar is around a volt or more, and many effects boxes and amps are designed with this in mind, there's no need for an inline attenuator. the guitar's own volume control is often all one needs to get the output level they desire. there are also volume pedals, both active and passive. i used to make a preamp stomp box for people who didn't get ENOUGH drive out of their passive pickups to get the sound they wanted out of other stomp boxes and pedals (like fuzz boxes, etc...)....

BTW, just did a google search for one of the phrases in the OP..... the OP IS SPAM, as the identical post also showed up on 3 or 4 other forums like this one... as well as being posted by KevinXX (with the "XX" being various other things like "25" or "M2"

the other "attenuator" is known as a "Power Soak", at least that was what the original device was called back in the 70's. it was often used for studio work, but also was well suited for use with a "talk box" which was a compression tweeter with a hose attached to the driver throat. two people who used talk boxes were Joe Walsh and Peter Frampton. Aerosmith even used one in "Sweet Emotion"

Last edited:
the other "attenuator" is known as a "Power Soak",

Yep, that is most likely the style of device being spammed as "guitar attenuator" these days. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back