regulator type

Status
Not open for further replies.

onceedward

:?: Hello to all
I was working on a alternator voltage regulator for high output type
everything else is Ok ..Was wondering would a Lm 317 with a couple of 3055's as pass's work OK..If more detail on the circuit is needed I can give it
Thanks

Are you controlling the field current? If that is the case then the 317 might not be a good choice. Home-brew regulators that I've seen use an op-amp configured to control a power transistor based on difference between system voltage and some reference. Watch out for transients and noise that are abundant in auto and similar power systems.

A friend asked for assistance with a regulating system for a 6 v and 12 v generator (antique tractors). I had wondered if a PIC would be fast enough - given that the battery serves to dampen the system to a degree. Advantages that a PIC might offer is flexibility in how it operates.

Yep

Yes I am.. I have a drawing but its to large to post as an attachment and I have no outside upload viewer..The ones I have now controls 2 200 amp leece nevilles

Attachments

• NV.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,288
Hi.
I must ask: in what kind of alternator do you control the field current?

Ante :roll:

One device solved

The top right device I found out is an old Morocco TIP3055
Now to figure out what the middle one and bottom one is , one of them has to be a regulator..It still looks like a 317 to me and by the configuration of the hook up it seems as though

Just trying to understand a few things - bear with me please.

Is what you have something that actually works? Did it ever work? Where did you get it? Is is made for this application? What does the control do? Just wondering if this is a tried and true design that has functioned well or if it is something home-brewed where the design may be suspect. If you have the means to sketch a more traditional schematic that you could post it's more likely that someone might recognize the configuration. My pal who plays with tractors has a number of friends who dabble with stuff like this - I'll pass it to them.

Ok

Yeah it works very well..I just have never fooled with or dealt with them until now , as in constructing one never had a need to.. They scratch off the data numbers on the pass and reg , as though it will really make a difference..I just want to build me one that will house all of my regulators and put up to date parts in them...Once I get the info I need its on to redesign and upgrade to my liking..But I have four that controls my Alternators 2 each per device...Thats 8 alternators..I'm building a new truck and I want my own design and parts through out the vehicle..The radio and regulators are the only electrical thing I didn't design and build in my old truck ( SUV ) So actually after 15 years I decided to just look inside and do my own..I just started guessing at it 4 days ago , so I thought I'd take a short cut and ask somebody else...I'm doing a professional schematic right now , I use the drawings to help show my son's the placement of parts when they are trying to figure out what I'm doing...My oldest is an engineer and he is as lost as I am because we've never paid it any attention..Can't know everything I guess

ante said:
Hi.
I must ask: in what kind of alternator do you control the field current?

I thought most (if not all?) car alternators controlled the field current for regulation?. Usually the regulator electronics is internal, but some use external regulators.

Sometimes

They do in normal cases.... But I also use external rectifiers..Under the loads I put on the alternators the regulator and the rectifier would basically burn up..A lot of times I'm holding anywhere from 300 -1200 amps of current in DC mode at 18 - 21 volts..I don't even want to mention AC mode..So internal regulators are not an option..I'm just going to put some things in a test mod and see how it cooks..Its got to be able to handle abuse LOL..I was just throwing this out there to see who was on the ball and might of tested or had a stable grip in expierience on this...Basically I was just to lazy to do it years ago..But I'll get it...

All the alternators for motorcars that I have seen so far are controlled by magnetizing the rotor, not the field. A regulator built in a unit with the brushes (in most cases) supplying the rotors winding. On very few systems the regulator is outside the alternator.

Yes, good point!, I'd forgotten that - not that it makes any real difference though . It's obviously done that way because of it's three phase output, it would need more brushes if you had to take three phase off the rotor instead of the stator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…