Relay "clicking" periodically when ignition is off

xiaohao76

Hello guys,

I'm facing a weird issue with my Kia Cerato.

I purchased this car a few months back from the secondhand market. While resting in my car with the ignition off, I noticed there's a knocking sound coming from the back off my car periodically. Initially, I ignored the sound and didn't think much about it. It was until I faced a problem where I was unable to start the car when the car was not driven for ~3 days, as the battery level was low and needed a jumpstart.

I started looking deeper into what could be draining the car battery within a few days (the battery is new). Unplugging the car cam did not help and I had to jumpstart the car on a second occasion.

Then I remember the knocking sound which I was hearing periodically with the engine off and suspected that could be the cause of battery drain. The knocking sound could be heard every 13 seconds. Guessing the sound was coming from the fuel pump, I opened up the fuse box. And true enough, the fuel pump relay could be heard clicking every 13 seconds. I unplugged the fuel pump relay, and the knocking stopped.

With the fuel pump relay unplugged, now I could hear another sound coming from around the engine (again every 13 seconds). So this time, I unplugged the main relay and the sound stopped.

So it seems like every 13 seconds, there is something powering up the main relay, which is also powering up the fuel pump relay and a few other components and it's draining the battery.

Would anyone be able to advise what could be the problem? Is this normal?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…