Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay control via hobby radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpdrobotfreak

Does anyone have an idea how I can build a circuit that will turn a relay on and off from my hobby radio reciever? I guess it would have to have something that would use the PWM out from the reciever that would normally go to a servo and turn a relay on and off. I see them for sale but want to build myu own. Thanks for any help.

All you need to do is to send a tone. The receiver needs a bandpass filter to detect the tone, and a circuit to pull in the relay on the presence of the tone. You might think of using another tone to turn off the relay.

Remember that using more power than the FCC alows, or coming up on the wrong frequency can cause problems. You might go faster with a pair of Radio Shack walkie-talkies for the RF link.

I recall seeing chapters on radio control in my ARRL amateur radio handbook - suggesting that amateur radio allows for RC control. You might look there and consider getting a proper license - and consider getting to know some local amateurs in your area who might be of some assistance. Not sure where you live so can't help much more.

rpdrobotfreak said:
Does anyone have an idea how I can build a circuit that will turn a relay on and off from my hobby radio reciever? I guess it would have to have something that would use the PWM out from the reciever that would normally go to a servo and turn a relay on and off. I see them for sale but want to build myu own. Thanks for any help.

As you say, they are freely available to buy, and there are also plenty of examples on the net - mostly using PIC's, which is a nice easy way to do it.

So if you don't mind moving to PIC programming, it's a nice easy project.

How about using the receiver as intended, to drive the servo, and rig a lever switch to be pushed by the servo. This is pretty simple.

RadioRon said:
How about using the receiver as intended, to drive the servo, and rig a lever switch to be pushed by the servo. This is pretty simple.

But needs an expensive large servo, instead of a cheap tiny PIC - but in R/C circles it used to be common practice.

rpdrobotfreak said:

Check here too:
https://www.rcgroups.com/diy-electronics-199/

sam

R/C relay

Ive done some dtmf stuff and regular remote control , this time im looking to be able to turn the relay on and off with my hitec hobby radio. I dont have the ability to make the circuit with PICs yet. Although I did just order a programmer and some 12c509as. I have not been able to find anything on the web either using pics or not useing them. STEVE, I am from Rochester too.

rpdrobotfreak said:
Ive done some dtmf stuff and regular remote control , this time im looking to be able to turn the relay on and off with my hitec hobby radio. I dont have the ability to make the circuit with PICs yet. Although I did just order a programmer and some 12c509as. I have not been able to find anything on the web either using pics or not useing them. STEVE, I am from Rochester too.

Have a try here

It would be much more difficult to do without a PIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back