Not open for further replies.

danielsmusic

i need info on this conponent i dont know weathe it is a tilt swich or a relay
i says this way up.
and it is called: mercury wetted contact relay i have a few pics

Attachments

• picture_008_2_.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,078
It is "exactly what it says on the tin", a mercury wetted contact relay.

The relay contacts are in a sealed envelope with a small quantity of mercury, which helps to give good contact at the relay points.

They should be mounted with the arrow to the top so that the mercury forms a pool in the correct place in the envelope.

JimB

The pins:

C Common contact
NO Normally open contact
NC Normally closed contact

+ positive side of coil
- negative side of coil

The relay probably has a protection diode across the coil to kill the back EMF when the coil is de-energised.

S the can around the relay (Screen)

JimB

When operated, there will be a click, but with a relay like this you may have to listen very carefully to hear it.

JimB

danielsmusic said:
one last thing, do you know what wattage this runs at.

Sorry but this statement does not make any sense.

Are you looking for the contact rating or the coil rating.

Contacts are usually rated in terms ov voltage and current.
The coils have a resistance and a normal opeating voltage.

I dont know them off the top of my head but the data is available if you Google for HGSM 51111, the part number on the relay label. Have a quick dig around and you will find a data sheet with all you need to know.
How do I know? I just did it.

JimB

The image shows the inside of such a relay after removing its casing and taken out the magnetic operating coil.

Shinny mercury coating can be seen along all the surface of the moving contact.

These contacts are usually for fast signal switching purpose where contact bounce is a problem. You can see from the image that large cylindrical metal block is attached to each fix contact at the top to absorb the energy that the moving contact carries when the contact closes.

Attachments

• mercury.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,094
Nice picture.
That is the first time I have actually seen what one looks like inside.

JimB

Note the contact point is the tiny bits at the bottom of the semi-circular depression on the fixed contacts in the image. So it is really tiny and not meant for a lot of current.

The nice thing is mercury will climbs up the moving contact and "wets" the contact point.

I agree with eblc1388, low current/voltage is common in this type of relay, in that type of enclosure.

The relay looks very much like what was once found in PBX telephone switchgear. I recall "raiding" an old PBX box years ago for one of those relays. The contact rating was very minimal, as in well under one Amp, and low voltage as well. They are used in telephone gear to give "quiet" conections that don't oxide over time, and have extremely high numbers for expected nuber of operations before failure, often MTBF could be several million operations.

You can also get VERY high capacity mercury wetted relays ( contactors at these power levels. ) They are often used to interupt live loads at high speed or fast cycling, which could trash/weld a normal mechanical contact.

i think your right about the telephone gear i read some it hos no "contact bounce" thanks for everyones time for helpping me on this.

im going to use it for communication just like the phones over i long wire.
between to computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…