Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay switch to detect power source

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikum123

I need to find a switch that can detect whether it should go to 9v source or to a 5v Source. I am making a tool that has a battery power of 9V ( from a Alkaline Battery) and it can also get powered from a USB device, which is 5V.

The Whole system runs at a 3.6V. So i had to use a fly back to step down 9v to 3.6V and a variable regulator to step down 5v to 3.6v. 2 separate circuits.

If the customer need to connect the tool to a computer while its running from the battery, will it harm the system? i was asked to use a relay switch.

the issue is, i have to use a USB to connect the device to the computer and the USB gives 5V. At the same time the system is running at 9V with a alkaline battery.

Please Help

Thank you

If the customer need to connect the tool to a computer while its running from the battery, will it harm the system?
it depends on the current that it drains . typical usb can deliver 1A to 1.5 A. add some protection circuits like fly-back diodes etc to make to safe.
the issue is, i have to use a USB to connect the device to the computer and the USB gives 5V. At the same time the system is running at 9V with a alkaline battery.
so you want to switch over to usb mode? try this , use and opamp circuit for voltage identification ans switch a relay accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back