Reliable USB PIC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

I have a laptop (Running Vista\OpenSuSe) which I hope to use to program PIC's.

I have read mixed reports of serial port programmers and wondered if USB programmers where any more reliable?

Regards

p.s. what do you think of this one **broken link removed** ?

Download MPLAB 8.0, it should run fine with Vista 32bit. It includes a PIC simulator and is a zero cost way to play with PIC programming.

The Junebug is a PICkit 2 (an excellent little programmer made by Microchip) Compatible programmer / debugger. It's MPLAB and PICkit 2 software compatible.
The Quasar USB PIC programmer is simply a programmer, it relies on custom software to run (you hope they keep it up to date) it's also more expensive than either a genuine PICkit 2 or Junebug.

Junebug also has a 18F1320 Tutor, some LEDs, Pushbuttons, Trimpots, UART and connectors for your own projects. Of course it can be seperated from the programmer with a flick of the DIP switch.
The Debugger will allow you to single step or set breakpoints and view / modify variables & SFRs much like a simulator would but it's real. It's a poor mans ICE (In Circuit Emulator)

Take a look at the Junebug threads on this site, Futz is having fun with his Junebug kit.

I've sent one to Nigel, I don't know if he built it yet.

If you need a ZIF socket adapter you can add the Firefly-Z kit. (ZIF option) to the Junebug.

Last edited:
The ZIF is old school, handy for small PICs like the 12F series as it's hard to spare the I/O. Or if you cannot meet the parameters required for ICP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…