remote control iffy operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunsmoker

My Fisher model ca885 amp is giving me headaches. The remote control works when it feels like it, but when I put a candle in front of the sensor it works fine. Could it be the sensor? Thanks ahead of time.

You lit a candle in which sensor? The receiver sensor or the remotes transmitting IR bulb?
Not working means some of the buttons or the whole set of buttons not working in your remote?

Assuming the receiving part works well,then
Change the remotes IR LED & see but nobody knows which frequency range it supports.
But if there is some number in the receiving sensor will be helpful.

Look for the carbon joints in the remote keypad & see whether they are in good condition.

easy thing to do is check with yr camera phone looking at the remote controls transmitting led..........press a key and see if it lights (looking via yr camera.....) if not check/repair yr remote control.......the ir modules also fail as well........

Thank you for your reply. The candle is placed in front of the receiving sensor in the front of the amplifier. Actually, the heat from my hand is enough. Does this mean the transmitter isn't strong enough or does it mean the receiving sensor is bad? I've replaced the batteries in the remote control with good strong ones.

Nearly every remote I have ever repaired fell into these categories:

- Broken joint on IR LED leads ( especially on exposed LED units )
- Broken ceramic resonator - dropped remote, now does nothing
- Failed contacts on membrane pads - spilled liquid or worn out.

If yours works intermittently, I'd say bad/broken solder joint on something like the LED or other part on the PCB.

An IR source in front of the sensor would desensitize it, and a hand in front has a filtering effect. My guess is that you have an IR source in the room at approximately the same modulation frequency as the IR remote (34-50 KHz).

Strongest suspect is a compact fluorescent lamp. Older ones had more problems than the newer designs do.

Oops, sorry about that, I thought I was supposed to get an email when replies were done, I'll have to check into that.
Following up, the culprit seems to be the Sony Surround Sound unit, the problem manifests itself only when the Surround unit is on.
I DO have a small fluorescent bulb in one of the ceiling light fixtures about 15 feet away. mneary, you've got me second guessing myself...argh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…