Removing gel pot for lamp body repair

Jaimesix

Hi

I have these LED lamps (auxiliary off road lamps) that are a (supposed to be) good brand

Fact is the body is aluminum and it is rusting turning into white powdery corrosion on its surface

Decided to pull them apart to try blast and refinish the aluminum body

Discovered inside these lamps have this gel pot, so I am thinking about taking it off (no option if I were to want to refurbish the body) in order to do as mentioned.
Am I just use a knife and get it off? So that after painting the lamp bodies I could reapply it ?

Is this gel readily available for reapplication ?

Any experience with dealing with corroded aluminum bodies so common nowadays?

After this experience I’d rather have steel or plastic bodies as opposed to aluminum

Attachments

• IMG_7748.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
So is the gel those white squiggles that look like they hold the lamp module to the enclosure? If so, I'd just scrape it off like you proposed, get both surfaces as clean as possible, then apply some adhesive to hold it together. I'm guessing something like silicone caulk (or even non-silicone, like what we have in the US called "Liquid Nails") should work fine. There are no electrical concerns that I can see; it's just bonding the lamps to the housing.

To get rid of the corrosion, try soaking the aluminum in vinegar.

I believe that white material is heatsink compound, to assist in dissipating the heat from the LEDs.
The PCB appears to screw to the housing, so an adhesive would appear to be redundant, while heat dissipation is vital with high power LEDs.

You should be able to buy the stuff in large tubes, quite cheaply, from any electronics supplier.
The white type is probably zinc oxide based, newer ones are often grey ceramic based.

To refinish the housings, I'd wire brush them then prime them with "Hammerite special metals primer".

That stuff bonds in to metals incredibly well - I once filed down some pitted metal I'd previously used it on & none of it flaked off, it filed away to nothing but stayed on the metal.

Then a coat or two of whatever colour plain or hammer finish hammerite you prefer.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…