Replace batteries with Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,
I'm interested in the following Miwi demo kit of Microchip:
DM182016-2

Each unit is powered-up by two AAA batteries:

Since I'm gonna work for a long period on these boards, I'd like to save batteries costs.

Is it possible to have additional option to power up the board by 5V Power supply, but still keep the option to use batteries?

Or perhaps it can be powered up by the 5V pin of the ICSP?

I got another question please.
The one thing that bothers me about that kit is that I don't see how I would be able to interface external devices with the PIC (i.e. camera, speaker).
Is it possible to somehow create such interface for external devices?

What is the S.A.P composed of?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

If you use a filtered and regulated 3v power supply isolated from the line you should be ok.

This supply **broken link removed** is well worth having. It switches the secondary voltage to keep the drop small. I believe it's an LM317 based regulator, so it's nice and quiet.
You can get them elsewhere (ebay) cheaper. The kit of tips makes it a really useful supply. I have one running 24/7/365. I need another/

Even something like this https://www.adafruit.com/products/184 could be useful. Combine it with one or two wall warts depending if you need isolation.

You could use clips, but I would consider soldering a pigtail and put a screw terminal to 5.5/2.1 or 5.5/2.5 coax jack somewhere. It MIGHT be possible to cut a trace and put a jack in place. Some 33 years ago, I made an adapter which used a 3.6 VAC wall wart and put a diode in a pill bottle with the correct female jack that iIneeded to charge a calculator. Still works.

You might be able to do the same. Permanently wire a pigtail to a pill bottle with a jack in it. Wire the jack so it disconnects the batteries.

Just some ideas.

Thank you H
you helpmed me a lot.

Does the V+ pin that comes from the ICSP power up the whole module?
By the schematics it seems so, but I'm not that sure about it.

I'm just wondering if I connect to the ICSP external power supply, or the PICKIT3, whether they will both be able to power up the entire module.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…