Replacement AC adaptor with much higher current

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmb

Is it bad to replace a regulated AC adaptor that has an output rating of 9V DC and 200mA with a regulated AC adaptor of the same polarity that has an output rating of 9V DC and 1.7A? I know it's OK for the current rating to be higher than needed, but in this case the current rating on the new adaptor is more than eight times greater than that on the old one. Also, I think the equipment it would be used on only draws 75mA of that anyway.

Would making this replacement have any adverse effect on the equipment the adaptor would power?

The reason I ask is that I read on some site that you shouldn't use an adaptor with a current rating that is a whole lot larger than the one you are replacing, but it occurs to me now that maybe they were only talking about unregulated adaptors (where I can see it would be a problem because the output voltage would be too high). Do you think this might be right?

If the replacement is in fact a regulated adapter you will be fine. The key being regulated at the desired voltage. The load in this case will only draw the current it requires and the voltage will be stable.

Ron

If the new adapter is unregulated, then running at such a light load, it will have an output voltage much higher (almost twice) than the rated voltage of 9V. Unregulated plug-in power supplies due to their design have very poor regulation. Use a DC voltmeter to measure the open circuit output voltage of your new power supply. If it is 9V unloaded, then you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…