replacement for a tms370c742ant

Status
Not open for further replies.

zevon8

Hi I have no experience writing code for micro's. I have an existing circuit based on this chip, and have the code, both on spares and in hard copy.

Since it appears this chip is obsolete and no longer available, my question is, how "portable" is the code? Are there other versions of this micro that would run on the same program? Is it better to go with a different chip?

A lot of questions, I know, but any input / insight wuold really be appreciated!!

Thanks

OK, I admit to bumping

What I need to know, I guess, is has anyone used the TMS370 family, and if so what are the pros and cons. The current circuit design is for something really basic, a lamp flasher that has 2 levels of brightness, depending on a reading from a CDS cell. There are 3 lamp circuits, all identical, controlled by switches. The lamp PWM signal driving the FETS has the 2 frequencies for the brightness levels, and also can be set to output a very low duty cycle during the "off" time ( filiament "keep warm". )

I have no doubt this could be done by the PIC masters here, what I am looking for is a some pointers in what direction I should take this project.
Since I am new to this realm, I would appreciate any input as to what family of devices would fit my needs so I can begin learning how to program one to do this.

Thanks for reading!

I will now go sit in the corner for posting a vague question originally

I would suggest you try looking on the Texas website, but they seem a fairly obscure item - I've not heard of hobbiest use of them, and I've only ever seen a few Texas micro's in domestic electronics.

As you say, the requirements are very basic, a PIC would do the job easily.

As you admit to being unfamiliar with micro-controllers, so are starting from scratch, I would suggest using a more popular device.

However, I'm assuming this is a commercial product?, and it's been dumped on you? - what are you been asked to do with it? - merely to produce some more, or to modify the existing design?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I would suggest you try looking on the Texas website, but they seem a fairly obscure item - I've not heard of hobbiest use of them, and I've only ever seen a few Texas micro's in domestic electronics.

Yes, it is part of a nearly 10 year old device. From what I have been able to learn, the micro was chosen based on the original design criteria being far more complicated than what the end result became.

As you say, the requirements are very basic, a PIC would do the job easily.

My thoughts/hopes, exactly. I have built a circuit based around hex inverters and a dozen or so components that does everything needed, but changing frequencies, duty cycle, etc requires either part changes, or sometimes minor redesigns. I would rather avoid making any more units this way. My thinking was, if I was to make it PIC based, the PCB and supporting circuits could remain the same, just variations of the code could be applied. This would greatly simplify things.

As you admit to being unfamiliar with micro-controllers, so are starting from scratch, I would suggest using a more popular device.

I had a quick look around your website, impressive... , but have yet to decide which device to proceed with for developement.

What sort of developement hardware would be required for the more popular chips? The programming setup and hardware for the TI micro was big money.

Any suggestions? ( your software looks very good BTW , but I wont infringe on you since I am expecting to get paid to do this work if they decide to go ahead )

However, I'm assuming this is a commercial product?, and it's been dumped on you? - what are you been asked to do with it? - merely to produce some more, or to modify the existing design?.

It is more of an industrial product, used in custom applications. The "custom" aspect is one reason for wanting an easily altered design.

Yes I have been dumped on...LOL I am now the one who gets to repair the current units, and build what can be made from remaining part inventories.

The request so far is to see if it can be done in a more flexible way with "simpler" technology.

I don't really need to modify the design goal, the same functionality is required, just arrived at differently.

Thanks alot for your input!

zevon8 said:
What sort of developement hardware would be required for the more popular chips? The programming setup and hardware for the TI micro was big money.

The big advantage of PIC programming is that the setup costs are extremely low - you can download the MPLAB assembler/simulator system free from MicroChip, then all you need is a programmer and software, both available free from my website. Rather than build the programmer from scratch you may as well just buy a kit, they are so cheap it's not worth sourcing the components yourself.

The request so far is to see if it can be done in a more flexible way with "simpler" technology.

I don't really need to modify the design goal, the same functionality is required, just arrived at differently.

I would suggest using a PIC would really simplify the design, and reduce costs considerably - are you free to post the existing circuit? (privately if you wish - PM me for email address), and I'll see what components it could save.

Hi

I am "finalizing" some details on the design. Will post more info shortly regarding functionality and ouput.

I downloaded the MPLAB suite, and have looked at a few programming boards. MPLAB is light years beyond the software interface for the TI chip... it's all text and ASCII graphics running on a IBM AT ( DOS ver. 3.0 ) . Well, its more than 10 years old too, so I'll cut it some slack , LOL.

Thanks for the inspiration and help!

TMS370 family... original manual/specsheet (published in 1987)??

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction about finding product manuals (or other detailed documentation) about the TMS370 family (specifically the TMS370Cx1x line) of microcontrollers by TI?

I need the manuals published in 1987, and NOT the ones "updated" in 1997.

If you can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I would be willing to purchase whatever hardware necessary to get the correct (1987 publication date) documentation.

Much thanks.

Hurry guys, the offer would end really soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…