Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing crap car radio with a stereo input jack and amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitem2k

Hi, would it be possible to remove my crap radio from my new-old car, and in its place, put some sort of homemade amp, and a stereo jack that i could plug my mp3 player into?

If it is what would i need.

I have some low voltage audio op amps(4 * LM368), would these work?

thanks

bitem2k said:
Hi, would it be possible to remove my crap radio from my new-old car, and in its place, put some sort of homemade amp, and a stereo jack that i could plug my mp3 player into?

If it is what would i need.

I have some low voltage audio op amps(4 * LM368), would these work?

If your car was a Rolls Royce, where the loudest noise inside is the tick of the clock, you may be OK with those - but otherwise they are FAR too small for in-car use. Be easier to mod your existing radio to plug your MP3 player in, or if it's got a tape on it?, use a tape adaptor to connect from your MP3 player.

An LM386 creates only 0.5W into an 8 ohm speaker which is not very loud.
Philips and ST Micro make hundreds of car radio amplifier ICs that create 15W per channel for two stereo channels. Make one from a single TDA1554, two TDA2005 or two TDA7240 ICs.

Nice one thanks. Got any idea where i can get the TDA1554 chip? I have looked at rapid.com, maplin.com etc. but cant find it.

Also ive done a quick search on google, 'modding car radio aux input', which returned no usefull matches.

Any idea where i need to start if i was going to mod it, and how difficult would this be?

thanks very much.

bitem2k said:
Nice one thanks. Got any idea where i can get the TDA1554 chip? I have looked at rapid.com, maplin.com etc. but cant find it.

Also ive done a quick search on google, 'modding car radio aux input', which returned no usefull matches.

Any idea where i need to start if i was going to mod it, and how difficult would this be?

It depends on the exact radio you've got, electronically it's VERY simple to do, basically just connecting to the top of the volume control - but if it's done electronically it's a question of finding where it is!.

A circuit diagram or service manual would be a good help!.

bitem2k said:
Got any idea where i can get the TDA1554 chip?
I guess they are becoming obsolete. Worldwide Farnell doesn't have any. Digikey in the US have some that are made by an IC maker that I never heard of.

If they are becoming obsolete, then surely there must be a new ic that is taking its place?

My new-old car is an M reg 1.8 vauxhall cavalier. Where would i get a circuit diagram from?

thanks

bitem2k said:
surely there must be a new ic that is taking its place?
Unfortunately that often isn't the case.

I'm sorry, I can't think of an similar IC, perhaps you could try contacting a supplier like RS or Farnell and asking them.

When so many consumer electronics things are made in The Orient and are using Oriental copies of standard western ICs then the western ICs become obsolete.

Farnell in the UK have many TDA7240 mono power amplifier ICs in stock.

Hi,
You want a circuit diagram. . . For your car? or for the stereo?

If you want wiring diagrams for your car, then try to get hold of a Haynes Workshop Manual for your model. They have complete electrical system information in them. You may be able to get this info on the net, but it may not be free.

If it's for the stereo, then your best bet is to search the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back