Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

replacing plastic circuits in mobile phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

catnipsta

I am attempting to replace the broken lcd screen on my mobile phone. The lcd screen is connected to the phone's main electronics board by its piece of plastic electronic circuit. The connection is NOT the type that uses a normal plastic interface connector, instead it appears that the connection is made directly with the printed circuit on the plastic.

My question is how and what is used to make this type of plastic circuit connections ?

And what is the best way to disengage these connections, as the one I am trying to remove seems to be glued down to secure the contacts?

many thanks in advance

You didn't provide any information about the model of phone you're using and only the vaguest of information about what you're looking for. A picture would go very far in this case =)

If there is no physical connector used then it is likely that the flex pc, as these are called, was "hot bar soldered". This is simply a sort of fancy soldering iron. It is sometimes possible to unsolder these using hot air reflow (like with a hot air pencil). The difficulty might be when you try to solder another one in its place. This can be very difficult without a hot bar soldering machine, or reasonable facsimile.

You need a hot air gun (hot air soldering iron) to solder the new LCD screen. Also you need the same hot air gun to remove the LCD joints.
Don’t remove it from a just soldering iron it can damage to the main boards other parts even. Due to static, due to excess heat, due to spreading the PB etc….
It is better to take that to a phone repairing technician & replace the part.

You also need to make sure that the tracks on the LCD line up to the tracks on the PCB.

How much was the phone?

Is it insured or under warranty?

I would explore all other options before attempting it yourself as you're unlikely to be successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back