Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Require Confirmation for power supply wireing

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkcoder

Im trying to use a computer power supply into a ps3, can you guys confirm that ive selected the correct pins.
**broken link removed**
Ive labled it but just to confirm:
The 1st yellow wire is going to be connected to the 12V area on PS3 motherboard
Is the 2nd dark blue One +5SB?
Is the forth black one ground and the 8th black one also ground
and is the green one for turning power supply on.

Sorry if this Is a stupid post but I just want to be safe and sure

For your 20 pin mobo power connector, check this page:

ATX power supply connector pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

But billy has a point... why? A PS3 is essentially a very modern PC, which no doubt has strict power requirements which are likely to be beyond the specs of your PSU. Also, one false move and you've zapped an expensive bit of kit. Not to mention your connection from the connector to the PS3's motherboard, perhaps its the photo but those wires look too thin to me.
I'm normally all for hardware hacking but this seriously looks like a bad idea. Any number of things could go wrong.

The reason im doing this is because someone gave me a broken ps3, first problem was the hard drive was broke. Second problem is a component in the power supply seems to have overheated and exploded. Im doing it this way as its cheap and I find these kind of projects fun, thanks for the warnings though. I ended up wireing the power supply up to the ps3, a red light appeared, I turned the ps3 on. LED became green then flashed red. I think if I use a newer 1.1 ATX PSU with power output > 360Watts it will work, hopefully.

Ahhh, so really you have nothing to lose, but something cool to gain? Thats fair. I recently did that with a bunch of broken portable DVD player's. There were all screwed in some way so I just went at them like a loon, got 4 out of 5 working flawlessly :) (5th one was used for parts for the others).

Even though I'm sure just plugging in wires for testing 'may' work, if I were you I would invest in a specific connector for the job. That is, find a male connector for your ATX power supply, and one for the motherboard of the PS3. Then wire them up with thick wire, fairly short as an 'adapter'. That way you can check all the connections before actually plugging it all together. Or perhaps removing the 20-pin ATX connector altogether and running the wires in a connector for the PS3 (no doubt its proprietary).

The chanigng LED colour is at least some indication you're getting power to it, although it could indicate a missing voltage, not enough power (dorp in the supply voltage) OR that there is yet another thing wrong with it - beit an existing problem, or one you have just created by powering it up :)

Good call on the wattage, despite the PS3's 'stripped down PC' design, its so new and powerful I'm guessing its proper power hungry, perhaps even requiring seperate 12V rails.

I got it all working, What I did was change the PS_ON pin on the PSU so it connects to ground so I shorted it. Really happy it works now although after some research Ive found out ps3 runs at 360Watts so I may have performance issues when I start playing games. To make this permanent Im going to take your advice and find some specific connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back