Resettbale alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you are right!Can anyone be of help? I also need very practical old electronics / process books .Most of the books in my Country Ghana contain very obselete ideas and theoritically oriented.
My address is
Wisdom Kwame Samlafo
P 0. .BOXC0 2185
Ghana - West Africa

Hero,

I think kwame wants the alarm to sound when he looses "mains" power, not battery power....or when the temperature exceeds the high and low limits of 36C or 39C. My guess is that the loss of mains power is all or nothing.

Ken

correction

Yes you are right!Can anyone be of help? I also need very practical old electronics / process control books .Most of the books in my Country Ghana contain very obselete ideas and theoritically oriented.
My address is
Wisdom Kwame Samlafo
P 0. .BOXC0 2185
Ghana - West Africa

Hero,

I think kwame wants the alarm to sound when he looses "mains" power, not battery power....or when the temperature exceeds the high and low limits of 36C or 39C. My guess is that the loss of mains power is all or nothing.

Ken

Here's my idea.

Although it may look complicated, it's pretty simple.

The circuit consists of three parts:

1) Window comparator (U1A & U1B)
2) Standard voltage comparator (U1C)
3) Bistable (U1D)

The outputs of the window comparator and the voltage comparator are OR'd so if either the temperature range is exceeded, or the voltage (Vmonitor) drops below about 10V, the bistable will be triggered, sounding the alarm.

There are two switches: a test which will trigger the alarm (this is optional) and a reset which is self explanatory.

Note: ignore the values of R1 to R5 which will depend on which thermistor you decide to use.

U1 should be the LM339 or a similar open collector comparator.

EDIT:
Here's a link to a website which the building blocks of this circuit:
http://www.sullivan-county.com/ele/vc.htm

Attachments

• Voltage temp alar.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Is there any site i can get these items to buy?

I don't know about your part of the world but in the UK there's RS Components, Farnell, Rapid electronics, Maplin and many others and in the US there's Digikey, RadioShack and many more.

I've specified fairly standard components: the resistors are all carbon film 1/4W 5% tolerance, the IC is an LM339 quad comparator, Tr1 is a generic PNP transistor such as the BC327 and the sounder can be any piezo alarm sounder providing it doesn't draw more than about 200mA, for higher currents reduce R14, if you need over 500mA or so, use a Darlington pair or a MOSFET.

As I said before, you'll need to select and appropriate thermistor which will determine the values of R1 to R5.

components

Hi Hero
how are you doing?It appears with these components i can build a thermostat of my own.How much would all these components cost in the uk? May be i can mail the money to so that you buy them for since i have no experience when it comes to thermistors,comparators and the lile since we seldom use them in this part of the world.I only read about them from electronic books.
Hero,More grease to your elbows.I sounds like you an electrical engineer .

(correction)

Hi Hero
how are you doing?It appears with these components i can build a thermostat of my own.How much would all these components cost in the uk? May be i can mail the money to so that you buy them for since i have no experience when it comes to thermistors,comparators and the like; since we seldom use them in this part of the world.I only read about them from electronic books.
Hero,More grease to your elbows.I sounds like you an electrical engineer .
May you need also to explain how the wiring must be done.If i should get the components, i will be thrilled to build a thermostat of my own.
Kwame

It's easy to find the components.

Search for the websites for the suppliers I talked about using your favourite search engine and use the internal search engine to find the part you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…