Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistace value

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step 1. Open "www.google.com"
Step 2. Enter "Resistor color codes" in the search window

Result: more than 18,000 hits.

Somewhere there you should find a site that should fulfill your requirement.
Good luck!

I got this pdf file from this website, it might be helpful to you .

Attachments

• color code of resistors.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,111
black 0
brown 1
red 2
orange 3
yellow 4
green 5
blue 6
violet 7
grey 8
white 9

the value of the resistor determined by the first three lines.
the value of it is the number of line 1 and line 2 and multiply with 10 to the power of third line. the last line is tolerance.

Just out of interest, how many of you sight read resistors? I assume anyone who has used them frequently for a while will. By this I mean you don't work it out anymore, you just see it and recognise it right away. I do with most 3 band ones, the more obscure ones may take a moment. Nobody else in my college class ever could though oddly.

Dr.EM said:
Just out of interest, how many of you sight read resistors? I assume anyone who has used them frequently for a while will. By this I mean you don't work it out anymore, you just see it and recognise it right away. I do with most 3 band ones, the more obscure ones may take a moment. Nobody else in my college class ever could though oddly.

Like anything else, it comes with practice - but I've been reading them for something like 40 years!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Like anything else, it comes with practice - but I've been reading them for something like 40 years!.

You are giving away your age.

Assuming one can do that when one is five or six years old, you must be 50-60 then.

eblc1388 said:
You are giving away your age.

Assuming one can do that when one is five or six years old, you must be 50-60 then.

Are you failing maths? 40+6=50 to 60?

I'm 51, I've been doing electronics since I was 9 or 10 - I originally used to write the resistor values I wanted down on a piece of paper, along with the colours they needed to be. I then used to go to a local tip, and hunt for them in old TV sets!.

I, not being native in English, thought "some 40 years" meant 40+ years and not exactly 40 years.

Actually my experience is that there are only a handful of common resistance values, the real difference is the multiplier. When one gets that, it would be very easy to tell the values apart.

After a few projects, one would easily recognise values like 1K, 2K2, 3K3, 4K7, 5K6.... and different members of their "family".

eblc1388 said:
I, not being native in English, thought "some 40 years" meant 40+ years and not exactly 40 years.

As you are based in the UK, and your English is excellent (far better than many 'English' residents!), I presumed you were born and raised here?.

Dr.EM said:
Just out of interest, how many of you sight read resistors?

I do.
Although I have to think about the "four band" types, the three band ones are no problem whatsoever.

It is like speaking a foreign language, it needs practice.
40ish years in my case, started about 12 and I am now 57.

JimB

Nigel Goodwin said:
As you are based in the UK, and your English is excellent (far better than many 'English' residents!), I presumed you were born and raised here?.

Not at all. I came to live in the UK several years before the end of last century. :)

If you look at my postings, you will centainly find many small grammatical errors which are typical of people who speak a different language.

eblc1388 said:
If you look at my postings, you will centainly find many small grammatical errors which are typical of people who speak a different language.

Your errors are less than most of the youth of today!.

However, we're not counting spelling mistakes! :D

I can sight read IF I can make out the actual colors. those 1/8 watt babies are almost impossible to tell and sometimes the red is closer to brown than red. Orange vs dirty yellow is hard too. so I just use my dmm most of the time. funny thing - I can read the numbers on 1206 chip resistors no problem.

the way I remember the codes isn't via some politically incorrect mnemonic (which always seemed hard to remember) but memorise the first 2 (black, brown), rainbow order, then grey, white.

and M Chung, you sell youself short plus you don't use chat-room "english" so I find you welll ahead of the pack when it comes to clear communication.

Hi,

Came here late nineties ?
I would guess from Hong Kong.
Interesting times indeed.

I welcome you and wish you well.

John :)

philba said:
I can sight read IF I can make out the actual colors. those 1/8 watt babies are almost impossible to tell and sometimes the red is closer to brown than red. Orange vs dirty yellow is hard too. so I just use my dmm most of the time. funny thing - I can read the numbers on 1206 chip resistors no problem.

the way I remember the codes isn't via some politically incorrect mnemonic (which always seemed hard to remember) but memorise the first 2 (black, brown), rainbow order, then grey, white.

and M Chung, you sell youself short plus you don't use chat-room "english" so I find you welll ahead of the pack when it comes to clear communication.

This is the little ditty, that my military instructor thought me about 57 years ago:
"Bad Boys Raped Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly."

English was my second language then, had only a year and a half of it in high school in Norway. The rest was absorbed by osmosis. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back