Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lord loh. said:
Does resistivity depend on the thickness of the wire?

Yes, of course it does - the thicker the wire, the lower it's resistance (assuming the material is the same). Think of it like resistors in parallel, adding a second resistor in parallel will half the resistance - likewise doubling the cross sectional area of a wire will half it's resistance, just like using two wires.

Nigel Goodwin said:
lord loh. said:
Does resistivity depend on the thickness of the wire?

Yes, of course it does - the thicker the wire, the lower it's resistance (assuming the material is the same). Think of it like resistors in parallel, adding a second resistor in parallel will half the resistance - likewise doubling the cross sectional area of a wire will half it's resistance, just like using two wires.

I dont think thats what he asked? The resistivity is the per unit area resistance of a given material. For example, the resistivity of copper is the same whether or not I make a wire of any thickness or a sheet of it.

However, if I add impurities to the copper, it's resistivity changes.

So, I think the answer to his question is NO. Resistivity (in a uniform material) is, by definition, independent of geometery such as a smaller diamter piece of wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back