resistors &#*%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

how do i know which one of these configurations should i use when controlling a transistor?

IF the transistor is a BJT that means that its voltage controlled and circuit A + B would react the same since current, not voltage is reduced?

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 217
A BJT transistor is controlled with current, not voltage.
A Fet transistor is controlled with voltage.

None of your circuits make sense because they need a regulated power supply and the voltage is not shown for us to calculate currents.

oh, k , got them bkwards! , Please feel free to use any voltage source, or any gain level for the transistors, or modify the resistors as you see fit, im just trying to figure out a general method for my switching apps, i just dont get why(or when) you would use resistors at all, since all the power u need to switch should just come off an input line,no?

No. Read **broken link removed**. Then get back to us if you have any further questions.

Last edited:
No. Read **broken link removed**. Then get back to us if you have any further questions.
The tutorial is WRONG.
Beta or hFE is used only in a linear amplifying transistor that has plenty of collector to emitter voltage. A saturated transistor has a very low collector to emitter voltage so beta or Hfe is not used to calculate base current. Instead, the datasheets for most little transistors show a base current that is 1/10th the collector current.

The concern about using the input line to switch the transistor is that a bjt has no limit on the amount of current it will allow to go into the base connection...even if it causes smoke. If the input signal is capable of supplying too much current, you must limit the current with a resistor.

Hi,

Usually the transistor configuration is selected based on what the application is. That is, what is required of of the application in what does it have to do. After you select the configuration, then you select the operating point.
In other words, if you would tell us your end application that would help a lot.

Last edited:
well.. im using a op amp light chasing circuit and i need to connect the op amp to a 555 timer(astable config) as a VCO, connected to a 4bit counter to drive a h bridge for a stepper motor,

In the simulation the op amp goes haywire so when i wire it in reality i know what to do when : a)the op amp underpowers the 555 timer
B)to balance the op amp and the timer vco input

the main circuits im trying to integrate are as follows:

http://www.free-games-consoles.co.uk/resources/circuit1.JPG
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
(I plan on hooking these 2 up with a bit of logic)
**broken link removed**

Idk what kind of stepper im useing yet all i know is that its a cd rom spindle motor

the motor only needs to go foreward but a diffrent speeds depending on the CdS cell,
maybe there is an easier way to do all this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…