Restart cell phone circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tremmert

Hi everyone, I have a cell phone that locks up every few days. It requires a restart by holding the power button down for about 2 seconds. Then once it is off, you have to hold the power button down again for 2 sec. I wanted to automate this process. Im thinking about using a PIC to control a transistor to short the power button out every 48hrs. Is this possible? Im a beginner, but have a little experience with electronic circuits...

Thanks,
Tommy

Well, I need to do it this way. I have several of the same model so if I break some of them, thats ok. The software that is running on the phone is all custom, and has many flaws. This is why I need to power cycle the phone every now and then. So Im basically looking for a circuit that will complete a second low current (I would assume) circuit. I just need the circuit to be closed for about 2 seconds, then open. Every day or so, complete the circuit and repeat.

Where are you going to put this circuit? attached to the back of the phone? Or on a base that the phone docks to at night or something?

Back of the phone. Im not really to worried about how it looks. The entire device will be in a box of its own. The cell phone case is not even attached.

So does anyone have an idea if a transistor will work or should I use a relay? The circuit that runs the timer will be drawing current from the phones battery.

It depends entirely on the circuitry of the phone, a relay will always be OK, a transistor 'may be', depending on the design.

tremmert said:
So does anyone have an idea if a transistor will work or should I use a relay? The circuit that runs the timer will be drawing current from the phones battery.

A small reed relay would mean you would not have to analyze the phone's circuity, just parallel the existing switch. There are some pretty small 5vdc coil low current reed relay packages so size shouldn't be a problem. A small 8 pin pic could be programmed to trigger the relay but a couple of 555 timers might be made to work.

Good luck.

Awesome, I will do some research on the reed relay, and use a pic to control the timing. Thank you all for your help!

Dear Tremmert,

Before going to use your electronics skill to solve your problem, you can use secret codes methods of your mobile phone by using
*2767*3855# = E2P Full Reset
*2767*2878# = E2P Custom Reset
N.B. These codes are for Samsung mobile phones(USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…