Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

restoring motorcycle/ kill switch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

reldridgejr

I am rewiring an old honda 70 3 wheeler which I converted to a new model 12v engine with electric start. The only thing I am stuck on is how to wire the kill switch. It appears to be a center on switch with an up off, down off, center on (run) configuration. I believe the handle bars act as a ground because it is in a chrome housing and there are only 2 wires coming from the switch. Do I run one wire to hot and one to ground? Or do I run both to hot and let the bars act as ground? Is only one active and the other dead? I guess what I'm asking is what's the standard way a center on switch is wired on a motorcycle? Thanks for your help in advance...

I think on the CT-70. I had 2 wires, one to ground and the other to the coil under they tank. I have the assembly manual for it. I will go look it up (if I can find it). I know mine was a bullet plug and the coil wire, and I have worked on 4 (1 ATC70 and 3 ATC 70s in the last year). They are fun to ride, but heavy little suckers.

Found one book on CT-70. The ATC went with the bike when I sold it. I think it was coil to ground, and it had a short wire when a plug on it that plugged into one switch wire. The assumption is the other wire went to ground and grounded it out to kill the spark. Hope that helps some.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that. I had it functioning but it was reversed so that the center on was actually the kill and up and down were on. Don't know how to correct that by any chance? Thanks again...

I believe you should be able to correct the problem of the kill switch by simply reversing the wires. . .

On all of the motorbikes i have had, the kill switch works by earthing the positive feed to the coil. I believe the two far poles of the switch are connected to each-other, and to earth. And the centre pole of the switch is the live feed to the coil, which connects to earth when you switch either way.

I would just try swapping the wires the other way.
Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't, but if you never try, then you'll never know.

If the wire is to a part to a switch to ground, the switch and wires are a short (when you hit the switch). Swapping the will not gain anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back