Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF based time delay circuit mimicing Air Conditioner's remote on function....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahi

PS: Mods to please move to appropriate thread, if need be...

I am not an Electronics student and hence this thread..

I have one air conditioner which has to be manually restarted using remote after the electricity comes back after outage... I believe there must be some workaround like a circuit to automatically mimic the remote's on function (using Radio Frequency) of 1-2 second delay after the electricity comes back. Since, i am not an Electronics student, it would be great if the help comes with lots of details (diagrams/parts names/list etc.)

I don't mind getting my hands dirty and i would love to build the thing myself, if the circuit is not complicated. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Regards

Last edited:
One way to accomplish this is to get another remote and modify it. This https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/05/VTL5C1.pdf device or something similar will usually work. One end would be soldered across the "on button" on the remote. The interface then becomes waiting and pulsing an LED when power comes back on.

It's possible that someone/we could find a modular solution for you. Modular solutions are usually more expensive.

There are 3 basic choices:
1. modular
2. A discrete design
3. A microprocessor based design. e.g. www.picaxe.com

What is the AC/remote model number?

Take a look here https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/05/HRPS-HRIS.pdf at the timing diagrams, but not the timer module. You will notice a Delay on make timer and a single shot timer. These are the two functions that are required. The modular approach is the most expensive approach. In any event, I would probably use somthing longer than 2 sec as the initial delay and between 100ms and 1 sec for the pulse.

Since the timing isn't critical, there might be some other ways.

@ keepitsimplestupid

Thanks for your prompt response and for the pointers....

I don't know the remote model number right now... will post later.... and the solutions offered by you are pretty complicated for me.:eek:
(being non-electronics background)
But what can i make out from your post is that it can be done....;)

Regards

Yep, it can be done. I used the opto trick to work a button on an audio processor. Long time delays are sometimes difficult to achieve. You can take two of these kits: **broken link removed** that could provide a basis for the design.

You would also need a power supply kit that can supply 12 VDC, the opto, another led and a resistor. You'll need a plastic case because you want RF to pass through it, standoffs and a bunch of other little stuff. You can get the kits assembled if you really want to.

We could make a power supply for the remote too so it doesn;t require batteries. You could mount the remote permanently on the top of the case so that it's accessible, but not removable.

So, I would envision a LED to show power and another LED to show the timing pulse. You would mount everything into the box. The case and the power supply cost money too.

It's not the cheapest solution, but it's one that isn't that hard to do either.

Yep, it can be done.

Sorry for not being in touch for few days....

Thanks for your prompt help.... I just enquired from the company of the A/C and they agreed to provide the auto-restart kit.... So.. as of now, there seems to be no need to build the thing....

I really appreciate your help... THANK YOU....

Mods.. Please close the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back