Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF modules from Hong Kong

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
Following on from this:- https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/ic-components-limited-in-hong-kong.161552/

The components that I bought were Telit GE865 GSM modules, and they worked fine.

A few years later, a second batch appears to be counterfeits. The serial number isn't the right format to be an IMEI, and the RF shielding on the top is one piece, while the previous ones had an open topped frame and a separate metal lid pushed onto the frame.

I've opened one up and it seems to have all the right components in there. However I can't see the multiple vias on the ground plane that the genuine one has, although that could be differences in PCB process, and there are differences in layout, but I don't know how many different versions there were in the genuine ones.

As for how the counterfeit ones behave, I've only tried one so far and it turns on and responds to AT commands, but it just reports a string of zeros as the IMEI. It won't connect to the network and it won't tell me the serial number of the SIM connected to it. I have flashed the latest Telit software to it, and it reports the software version number correctly, but no change in behaviour.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back