Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF remote electromagnet stall

Status
Not open for further replies.

outofelement

First, I have no training in electronics aside from college physics, so I am very basic in my understanding of electrical engineering. Please forgive any imprecise use of terms. Regardless, I am forging ahead. I would like to activate an electromagnet by RF remote. It only needs to work for a second, to reset a switch. So far, I've determined that a 1" length core of iron (old nail), wrapped twice with 22 ga. wire and connected to a fresh AA battery gets the desired strength. Size is important for the whole set-up, the smaller the better. I tried hooking the magnet and AA battery up to a small RC toy (a hex bug, or something like that) circuit board, but that didn't do anything. And I tried just hooking the magnet up to a wireless doorbell run on 2 C batteries, nada. I don't think enough current is getting through. What am I missing? How do I get past this? It seemed like a simple project, but apparently my brain is simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back