RFID-based scrabble Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

solonskie

hey, i just want to make this project. this includes the following:

1. each letter tiles has a built in RFID tags.
2. the RFID reader serves to be the board for the game.
3. there are some sensors that will be attached for each of the bonus panels on the board (e.g. tripple word, double word . etc)

all i want is to automate the scoring system of the game. this was just my idea and i am still not sure if this project is possible, and as a newbie here, i do have a lot of questions to ask to some experts here. hmm i really don't know if what kind of sensor that i'm going to use for no. 3? hmmm i also want to ask if i still need to interface my RFID reader to a computer.. and what kind of PIC that im going to use??? please i need your reply. )

My first thought, being as I'm not familiar with use of RFIDs would be to embed a magnet in each tile and a sensor on a matrix set up under the board tied to a decoder than can ignore the previous inputs, match the new inputs to a list of points for each input and add them and display them.

thanks for your reply, hmmm i really cant imagine your idea.. if im gonna use magnet attached to each letter tile, what kind of sensor that im going to use to detect the equivalent scores of each tiles?? explain further pleeeease)) thanks

You might look into how they do the computer chess boards, which recognizes each piece on the board. Such a scheme could likely be adapted to your requirements.

You might look into how they do the computer chess boards, which recognizes each piece on the board. Such a scheme could likely be adapted to your requirements.
hmmm ok, il try to check on it. THANks sir

The chess games know where the pieces are from the start of the game and just keeps track of the movement from the default start position. The problem with scrabble is the board starts blank and any random tiles can be placed in any random fashion starting from the center star square. Further complication is identifying what tile is being played, ie. A,Q, or Z?
RFID could do the ID but problem I see is identifying which square a tile is being placed. Perhaps a combo RFID for tile ID and magnetic sensor for square ID. I can see this getting very expensive to make.

That makes good sense. If you know the original location of the pieces and they only move one-at-a-time, then it's easy for the computer to keep track of the moves.

But, as you state, this requirement is much more difficult since you have to detect seven difference piece values as well as random location. Don't know what the best solution for that is. Perhaps some type of optical approach?

For example, you might have one of seven simple bar-codes on each piece (since you only need to detect seven different types of pieces) that could be detected by a simple optical scanner under each piece location. But that still could get expensive for a 15 x 15 location Scrabble board.

thanks for your replies guys... hmmm it really sound to expensive... how about this, what if i make a program using some kind of programming stuff (for example visual basic..) that will encode or sum up the all the turned piece at every turn of each player... then it will store/stack the data and clear it after... hmmm get it?? with this.,i only need one reader for all the piece... is this possible sir??

And how will you determine which piece goes with which player, and that one piece can be counted for more than one player?

No offense, but your use of the term "programming stuff" leads me to believe that this project is likely beyond your technical knowledge and ability.

well if your programming stuff is visual basic, then it means you're happy to use a PC to do the detection, counting, etc. Perhaps a computer camera mounted looking down on the board - you can then use a little nous to detect which letter & which square.. sounds simple if you say it quick - but in reality, it should be relatively simple to do that way.

And how will you determine which piece goes with which player, and that one piece can be counted for more than one player?

at every turn, the player must press a designed button/ switch once they're sure with their turned word... all the turned tiles will be scanned by the reader... the problem is, how could the device possibly detect and read the equivalent score of every tile that's gonna be placed in the bonus squares of the board...?? any idea with this? hmm, do i need to use another sensors?

No offense, but your use of the term "programming stuff" leads me to believe that this project is likely beyond your technical knowledge and ability.

, kind'a... honestly, i really dont know how can i execute this one... ive only got some basic knowledge in programming...

yup, the plan is to use a PC just to manipulate calculations of data.. hmmm your idea is better and more practical than mine.. XP hahaha thanks post answering all of my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…