Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RFID brute force combination device...THEORETICALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishael

Me again, with another ridiculous question, this time with a legitimate reason for a security system cracking device. My school is installing these fun new HID brand proximity scanners to replace their old exterior door locks on all the buildings in the district. I have looked at all the documentation to these devices and they seem sound, but I was wondering if they are truly as secure as they claim to be.

If I was so inclined, (which I am because I always love to prove points about pointless technology at my school because they have spending binges comparable to those of Enron executives) would it be possible to build a device that ran all possible code combinations in a reasonable amount of time, a size smaller than something unwieldy, and a simplicity to use?

After thinking about what I just typed, I'm 99% sure they make these (at least a version of them) that work specifically for hotel room keys (their coding and protection is minuscule at best)

I know there are more specifics to the individual system code requirements, with the one my school has specifically, facility code, but I'm not concerned about that right now.

Good luck! :)

While I don't believe anyone will help you crack a school security system I will tell you how mine works.

In an hour or so I will leave for work. When I get there I will place my photo ID badge in proximity to a HID manufactured transponder. The outer area turnstile gate will click and I will enter the outer area. The date and time will be recorded along with my 6 digit employee code. All I need for entry is my employee badge.

During my workday I will travel throughout the facility using my badge. However, many areas will require that I enter assorted six digit codes into a cypher lock keypad after my badge is scanned. Again, everything will be logged. During all of this everything is also recorded on video surveillance cameras.

All passwords and my cypher codes are changed every 30 days or so. For the entry / exit all codes relate to my employee ID number embedded on my badge.

Systems like this can be made quite secure depending on how the user sets them up. I suggest you not challenge this system as you may make the school board very unhappy at which time your life will become very unhappy. :)

Ron

Most professional systems will use a time out after an invalid code. Good systems will increase the timeout for each failed code so by the time ytou try to enter a few wrong codes it might take minutes before the next attempt will be allowed, or it might operate the alarm etc.

Just leave it alone and experiment with something else. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back