Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rfid reader. Whcih should i get

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack501

I dont know much about RFID technology. I understand like what it does but not how to use it so i figure the best way to teach myself is to start using it. I want some sort of reader that is not to expensive. i want it to be in my car and with the help of one or two antennas i want it to be able to read the tag from about 5 feet or so from the car. Any help?

I was looking at some of those but it looked like they all plugged into a computer. I want one that i dont need a computer to use

What do you want to DO?

Do you just want a sensor to know when something is there? or do you REALLY want the RFID information?

i really just want a sensor to know when a specified ID is there.
Just presence detection

Last edited:
i know i need a micro controller. I didnt think it was magic. but with that reader that you showed a picture of, can i hook it to a micro controller just for presence detection or what?

Not at more that 1-3 inches.

You seem to want RADAR. or even SONAR.

Now THAT would be a AWESOME add on.

A rotating radar dish, Think warship, or aircraft carrier.

You can do a simple Ultrasonic obstacle finder circuit that would "ping" if anything was in range. Awesome.. Could you imagine driving down the street with that on your roof?

A few LEDs, and you have a eye catching add-on.

Its just that those parallax readers, i've watched a few videos and stuff and everyone has it hooked to the computer. i dont want that. I want a separate thing.

That device is a separate thing, it's probably the easiest method to get what you want but only very short range. You can connect it to a PICAxe if you want, it's just serial data.

Ok that sounds good. I didnt know how it transmitted its data but that should work. And how do they have long range RFID readers? i assume passive tags help increase the range as well as antennas and such

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back