Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RGB LED Fader - Purely random colors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indecided

I've a cct here that sequences 3 LEDs through a predetermined count using a 555 and a CD4029. The counting sequence is as such :

|LED1|LED2|LED3
----------------
1| x | |
2| | x |
3| x | x |
4| | | x
5| x | | x
6| | x | x
7| x | x | x

**broken link removed**

How can I alter this mechanism so that the counting is purely random? Someone proposed three seperate 555 sources; how would I go around implementing this? Or is there any other method of making this work?

You could implement a white noise generator and use the 555 to gate a spurt of pulses to the counter at intervals.

TOK ;)

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to note that it has to be as simplified as simple. I was thinking alongst the lines of a PIC like what Nigel suggested.

I'd need 3 output pins; 1 for each color and possibly implement a hold switch to "freeze" the current color, for a total of four i/o pins. I have done some minimal work with a 16F877A (just programming and building of the circut) and if memory serves me right, it has 33 i/o pins which seems like overkill in this case.

What PIC should be sufficient to meet these needs?

The PIC12F family will do

They have 8 pins(They look like an 555 timer).

You cod go down to 6 pins but you want to have 2 pins extra in case you want to add fetures.

Hi,
If you want a true random sequence I would still use a white noise generator to clock the rtc input on the PIC. This is easier than using algorithms to generate the (pseudo)randomness.

TOK ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back