Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RGBY Lighting control

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowana

I'm working on a mood lighting project, using banks of 1W Golden Dragon LEDs to light up my room. So far, I have two sets of LEDs, with each set consisting of a red, a green, a blue and a yellow LED. The system is controlled by a PIC, and currently runs the following program, fading between lines:

Red, Red+Green, Green, Green+Blue, Blue, Blue+Yellow, Yellow, Yellow+Red, repeat

While this setup works well, it misses out some combinations (eg red and blue = magenta). I could make a version that went through every possible colour (R,RG,RB,RY,G,GB,GY,B,BY,Y,RGB,RGY,RBY,GBY...etc), although I'm not sure if this would give the whole spektrum - it might look odd for parts of it.

Any ideas on what to light in what order?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

May I ask how you select and fade the colors? Are you using PWM? If so, how many PWM steps are you using?

I ask because I designed a 256 step PWM driver for RGB LEDs (244-Hz refresh rate) and I found there was very little difference in color change for the higher (brighter) PWM steps. I resorted to using a 64 step gamma correction table which made the color changes faster and much more linear.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Last edited:
I'm working on a mood lighting project, using banks of 1W Golden Dragon LEDs to light up my room. So far, I have two sets of LEDs, with each set consisting of a red, a green, a blue and a yellow LED. The system is controlled by a PIC, and currently runs the following program, fading between lines:

Red, Red+Green, Green, Green+Blue, Blue, Blue+Yellow, Yellow, Yellow+Red, repeat

While this setup works well, it misses out some combinations (eg red and blue = magenta). I could make a version that went through every possible colour (R,RG,RB,RY,G,GB,GY,B,BY,Y,RGB,RGY,RBY,GBY...etc), although I'm not sure if this would give the whole spektrum - it might look odd for parts of it.

Any ideas on what to light in what order?

Thanks

Andrew
you can do this with help of arduino.. check these out
YouTube - Arduino mood lamp first prototype
YouTube - Arduino RGB mood lamp
YouTube - arduino LED mood lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back