Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Riding the Eagle Cad Data bus (Eagle question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

In using the Eagle data bus tool, I get an ERC error that my data pins are not connected. I have clicked on the Bus properties and named it D0-D7 but this does not work. The data bus draw feature makes for a much cleaner design so what am I not doing to make the dbus work?
Below is a image.

**broken link removed**

Hi Mike,

you're using the wrong syntax. Buses should consist of one ore more letters a rectangular bracket and the numbers of data lines including two dots between first and last number, e.g. D0 to D7 should have the netname D[0..7].

Using more signals e.g. D0 to D7, A0 to A14, SCK, SDL, VCC and GROUND the bus name should be "D[0..7],A[0..14],SCK,SDL,VCC,GND".

Don't use the space key when putting in the values and use a comma to separate items.

Always draw nets from the bus to the component pin. When starting a net a popup window will give you the selection e.g. D, A, SCK, SDL, VCC AND GND and one more window, e.g. D0 to D7 when selecting "D".

Take a look at the connector and the bus as attached.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• BUS.gif
    BUS.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,120
Thanks Bon, you da man and I will try that... :)

Okay, I tried it and still some questions. Do I need to label the net on each device attached to the bus, ie. D0 on U1 and D0 on U2? I tried doing this and I get a netname in use error.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

it would be more than wise to label all nets into and out of a bus. Labeling the nets you can catch errors easily. If you inadvertantly use eg. D3 instead of D2 you won't catch that error on the PCB-design.

My version of Eagle (3.55) won't object if I connect the wrong data line to a pin. I haven't tried the newer versions if they check the logic of connections.

Please post a screenshot of the schematic and the error message for further assistance.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• BUS.gif
    BUS.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,788
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back