Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robotics Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixotron

Hi Guys,

I am just curious what type of course one would take to specialize in robotics engineering? I'd ask my advisor, but I would like to hear from you guys.

statistics and probability/controls/stochastic systems:

We need to know the position and estimation for the robotic arm to move to. This involves modeling, estimation and control theory.

Electronics:

duh!

Signal Processing:

Probably have to manipulate signal levels and detect them(sensors). Similar to controls theory.

Mechanical/Mechatronics?

What else?

Go to the library and look up books on robotics that cover arm movement. That will tell you what sort of math you need. It has been a long time but I seem to recall a lot of vectors, linear algebra, possibly some calc. It has been along time..

Robotics involves so many fields, there's no one specific thing that you need to be to work on robotics (the most straightforward path though is CE/EE rather than MechE).

There isn't a "Robotics Engineering" as much as there are engineers who specialize in different fields working on robotics. I've never met anyone who considered themselves a robotics engineer.

My dream job is that I have a huge room filled with every part I could want and they told me I had to build any robot that I wanted. :D

Mark Tilden works for Wow Wee toys, in Hong Kong and he builds robots as toys. Very simple robots for children. Also the Robosapien too. ALthough it seems kind of silly, toys now adays are very complex (they can be).

dknguyen said:
Robotics involves so many fields, there's no one specific thing that you need to be to work on robotics (the most straightforward path though is CE/EE rather than MechE).

There isn't a "Robotics Engineering" as much as there are engineers who specialize in different fields working on robotics. I've never met anyone who considered themselves a robotics engineer.

That's not necessarily true. Over here at Purdue, there is a grad course entitled ECE 595E Introduction to Robotics Engineering.

I was interested in the course, but didn't take it. Some collegause of mine took it and I skimmed over the text. It appears the subject material covered alot of vector matrix algebra and position control of industrial robotic arms.

The requirements were linear algebra, calculus, control systems and signals and systems.

What I think is that robotics is a field comprising many different sections of EE discipline. Like radar engineering, you have to be an ace in electronics, electro-magnetics, statistics and probability, digitial signal processing and signals and systems. you bascially have to be a superman, I learned this while working for Ball Aerospace in the Antennas and Video Technologies Group as an Rf engineer.

But yeah, the subject robotics engineering is complex and not just for EE's.

You guys ever think androids would be possible?

quixotron said:
That's not necessarily true. Over here at Purdue, there is a grad course entitled ECE 595E Introduction to Robotics Engineering.

THere is that course here too, but just because I take a mechanical course or one exists doesn't make me a Mechanical Engineer.

quixotron said:
You guys ever think androids would be possible?
Look in the mirror and just try and tell me it's not possible. :D

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
THere is that course here too, but just because I take a mechanical course or one exists doesn't make me a Mechanical Engineer.

I didn't say that. I am just responding to your assertion that robotics engineering is not a field in itself. I disagree. It is. Even IEEE has a society in and of itself that relates directly to robotics and automation engineering.
So there are such things as robotic/automation engineers.

Look in the mirror and just try and tell me it's not possible. :D

Yeah. However, when I heard the class was about robotic arms and not androids, I didn't have my advisor sign the add card. Not that , that field isn't interesting. I just watch alot of star trek: the next generation too much.

Data pwns!!!

People can get Robotics engineering Jobs by getting an Bachelors in EE and a bachelors in ME. I am going to strive for a Doctorates in both (double major)

Krumlink said:
People can get Robotics engineering Jobs by getting an Bachelors in EE and a bachelors in ME. I am going to strive for a Doctorates in both (double major)
I'm majoring in CompE and may take some ME classes, just to get access to the machine shop.:D
All that aside, I've wanted to work with robots since I was ~6.

Krumlink said:

A PHD in both? You'd have to get a master's in both as well unless you apply directly to the doctorate program after the bacherlor's and have one hell of a gpa and senior design projects and letters of reccomendation.

Plus you'll probably have to take the phd qualifying exam for both as well. Thats a hell of alot of school(6 years bare minimum to finish both phds), you'll probably have more success getting one and going out in the field either in academic research or the corporate industry. I prefer the industry where I'm in the frontlines.

Thats my spin, and I'm debating whether the phd for me is really necessary, it seems from talking to engineerng staff that experience rather than education is rated higer. But don't let me stop you.

Either way, good luck.

Mechatronics sounds like a good course to do if you want to do robotics, there again a generic engineering degree would probably also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back