Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rocking horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixtysixdeuce

OK, guys, so......I wanna build two rocking horses for two little girls. The horse is easy, I'm pretty skilled at all kinds of fabrication. The part I need some help with is what I want to make them do. I want to add a motion sensitive audio circuit, one that will make the sounds of a horse walking, trotting, cantering, galloping and running as the girls rock them faster. I really don't know where to start. I suppose the most challenging aspect will be finding the IC/SCM for the sound. But what are you guys using for variable motion signals in an application like this?

Thanks in advance!

You can get a pre-made sound module that stores several sound clips (trotting, galloping, etc.). Google will help for that. For detecting motion you can use a vibration sensor, accelerometer, tilt switch or even a snap switch that's contacted on each rock. The trick will be using the movement in a useful manner. A frequency counter (of sorts) could be used to determine the vigor of the rocking and play the appropriate audio track.

**broken link removed**

Hallmark offers recordable greeting cards that the sound chip can be removed from...they are cheap and easdy to find.

There are literally hundreds of kits/chips out there that allow you to record any sound effect you like, and play it back, above is just the first one I tripped over. To trigger it, I would use the same motion detectors that are used in jog/walking pedometers.
Pedometers usually use a condutive ball bearing in a slot with a conductive gap in the slot. When the ball tips to ward the conductive slot, it completes the circuit, and triggers, when tipped into the rest position, it no longer conducts.
Pedometers are dirt cheap now, often found at he dollar store, tear one apart, and use it as a motion sensor. Just for a kick, keep the display, maybe the kids will enjoy seeing how many times they have rocked.

here is a prject
https://www.instructables.com/id/Expanded-Vocabulary-Easy-Button/

Now you just have to rent a old fshioned cowboys and indians movie to capture the sound effects from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back