Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rogers (Yahoo), Gmail & Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

It would appear Rogers / Yahoo have developed the perfect spam filter. Pretty much block everything incoming and outgoing.
Recently to fight Spam Rogers/Yahoo have put in verify filter that simply doesn't work. Their authentication page also not so good.
The good news is my incoming spam is down to 4 or 5 a day from 300 a day, the bad news is my non spam email is pretty much gone too.

SO if you get email from my gmail account (which works fine) then so be it. I don't get it, why does Google stuff seem to work and Yahoo stuff just drives me crazy. I'll be setting up new email links on my site as I cannot currently send email from my authenticated Rogers/Yahoo account.

PS Rogers Ultra internet access is great. Roger/Yahoo email meh...

I use Gmail without too much trouble. I get on average one spam email per month and it doesn't filter out my normal email.

Agreed--I've been using GMail since...erm...Oct 11 2005, and had no troubles. Spam goes in the spam bin, although every week or so a spam message sneaks past the filter into my Inbox. No trouble.

Any little niggles I've had with the GMail interface have been easily dealt with using Greasemonkey.

Torben

I use hotmail, which works perfectly and always has since I started 9 years ago. Its a win-win: if it works, I get to freeload off Microsoft. If it doesn't, then it means the wicked witch is dead!

vdd said:
I also use Hotmail, works really well.

I stopped using Hotmail for a portable account 6 years ago. Microsoft made it known that it was selling the names of all the Hotmail subscribers to anyone including spammers in order to maximise profits. Tons of spam rolled in even though I did not advertise my email name in any way. Dozens every day. I set up the filters in Hotmail to block all mail from foreign countries, where most of the spam originated, but spam finally got to such high volume I gave up and switched to Lycos. I have never received even one spam message with my Lycos account for the last 6 years.

So did Hotmail change? Did that backstabbing jerk billionaire wise up? I don't really care, I have Lycos. They never sold their account holders down the river for a cash value of what? Pennies?

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
Why not use 'real' email addresses instead of these crappy ones?.

For me it's simply a matter of convenience. With GMail, I don't have to change my addresses around when I change service providers. I don't have to muck about with making sure my email is available on each OS on every computer I run. I can access my email from anywhere (I spent a lot of the past several years in a touring band). GMail adds disk space faster than my email fills it. I started out with something like 1GB of space and now I have something like 6.6GB, of which I'm currently using 7% to store every non-spam message I've received for the past 2.5 years (including several email lists and status messages from several servers I run). And I've never used an email client which provided any features I need which GMail doesn't provide.

Might not work for everyone but I've never been happier with my email setup. (Well, OK--I loved my sendmail/fetchmail/VM setup back in the early '90s but now I'm thrilled to let someone else manage the server side of things for me).

Torben

Torben said:
For me it's simply a matter of convenience. With GMail, I don't have to change my addresses around when I change service providers.

Neither do I, that's why I use a real address, and not an ISP one either.

I don't have to muck about with making sure my email is available on each OS on every computer I run. I can access my email from anywhere (I spent a lot of the past several years in a touring band).

Likewise, web access to real email addresses predates any of these 'toy' email addresses.

GMail adds disk space faster than my email fills it.

Mine don't, but I can manually increase them to what I wish - but why would you want such massive amounts?. If you want to keep the emails, download them.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Neither do I, that's why I use a real address, and not an ISP one either.

I have several email addresses, all of them as real as the others. I have one (actually, a few) for work, another for the band, and so on. I simply redirect them all to whatever I am currently using as my client. For the past couple of years that client has been GMail.

Why should anybody care at all what program I choose to read my email with? Seems like a waste of energy.

Likewise, web access to real email addresses predates any of these 'toy' email addresses.

Yes, I know that. I wrote my own in the mid-'90s and ran it on my own server. I'm pretty familiar with how they work.

How do you differentiate a "real" email address from a "toy" address? If I gave you my work email address, would you consider it "real" because it ends in my company's TLD instead of "gmail.com"? Would your opinion change, knowing that it redirects to gmail.com? Since there is no technical difference I have to assume that the reaction is purely emotional.

I'm not sure why you consider these things to be toys. Some are, no doubt--but that's a function of the specific implementation. That's the case with *any* email server. Some are run more professionally and have better support and some aren't and don't. There is nothing magical or even different about the system; it's just a web client for email, which sits with a server farm, which is just as "real" as anything else. It all boils down to RFC 2822 in the end.

Mine don't, but I can manually increase them to what I wish - but why would you want such massive amounts?. If you want to keep the emails, download them.

So I can enjoy moving them from machine to machine when I upgrade, or decide to move to a different email client, or when the one I'm using is updated and breaks backward compatibility? So I can not have access to all my email when I'm on the road? So I can try to figure out how to have my system allow equal access to them when I have to be booted into Windows instead of Linux? Just not an appetizing option.

I'm glad your system works for you. After years of farting around with the drawbacks of a client-side MUA and having to manage my own filtering/spam blocking and so on, I've just decided it's no longer worth the trouble anymore. I doubt that's the case for everyone.

All that said, the majority of web-based email systems haven't worked for me either. Yahoo! is a toy, Hotmail is annoying and half the time seems deliberately broken unless you're using Windows and IE, and so on.

Anyway, if my @gmail.com address bugs you I can always replace it with something else in my profile. :) Of course, it'll still redirect to my GMail account, but at least you'll have to read the envelope headers to see that.

Torben

Hotmail might be better now but I dumped it for Gmail because the attachment size and storage space limit were far too small.

I have been using gmail for ~2 or 3 years now. I have only gotten 1 spam message since then. I love gmail. it is fast, unlike hotmail and yahoo, because there are NO STUPID ADS!!!!!!! I hate hotmail for the ads it loads. Also, it loads the ads before your actually emails! :mad:

Gmail is the best of the best.

Hotmail might be better now but I dumped it for Gmail because the attachment size and storage space limit were far too small.
At hotmail now I have 5Gb of storage, which is usually about only 2% used. I use the account a lot, but not for the big file exchanges that I guess are big with the kids nowadays. A couple years ago I ran into trouble with their 10MB file attachment limit, but maybe that's gone up since then?

What do you get at g-mail? We could all cash in by starting a real spitting contest here between the biggies!

Hank Fletcher said:
At hotmail now I have 5Gb of storage, which is usually about only 2% used. I use the account a lot, but not for the big file exchanges that I guess are big with the kids nowadays. A couple years ago I ran into trouble with their 10MB file attachment limit, but maybe that's gone up since then?

What do you get at g-mail? We could all cash in by starting a real spitting contest here between the biggies!

20MB, according to the help file. Although it does say that this changes depending on the type of the attachment (but does not elaborate). I don't hit the limit because I don't really move large files using email.

I'll pass on the Hotmail-vs-GMail flame war, enticing though it is*. :)

Torben

* - But Hotmail sucks! Nyah-nyah-nyah! <duck>

I got Rogers high-speed cable internet.
Occasionally I get an e-mail saying that Rogers/Yahoo has detected a virus and removed the attachment containing it. Then they tell me to inform the party who sent it but their name is also deleted.

Soon Rogers will charge an extra amount from people who exceed a certain bandwidth. I hardly ever download or upload a DVD so I won't pay any more than now.
I have inexpensive high-speed Lite which is still pretty fast.

Hank Fletcher said:
What do you get at g-mail?
Well, for one you get Google's positive reputation. That was enough for me. But, if that isn't enough for you, then there is also over 6gigs of storage. There are no dumb advertisements (including those gay ass similes that make noise when you put your mouse over them), and no anoying pop ups. The online viewer doesn't take six hours to load, and everything is fairly instant, even on my VERY slow connection. There is also Google's VERY powerful search engine to help you find those important emails.

blueroomelectronics said:
Trick is your email address would end in xxxx@rogers.com, I would like mine to end with xxxx@blueroomelectronics.com
It was working till about a week ago. I'm using gmail in the meantime and it's working fine.

I wonder who xxxx is ;)

Both Gmail & Hotmail work fine, I've used both. I want my own domain email.

Bill,

If your email handler (Point Clark, it looks like--is that a colo box you control or just a hosted site they admin?) lets you redirect it then it's easy; just map it to the GMail account. If Point Clark lets you use POP to access email, then you can set up GMail to access your email from there as if it were a regular desktop POP client (Settings => Accounts => Get mail from other accounts).

Then your blueroomelectronics.com emails will come to your GMail account.

Torben

[Edit: I guess your email could be read to mean you already did this. If so then ignore me. :) ]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back