Rotary switch questions - Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drunlar

I have been trying to figure out how to wire a rotary switch in my car and "call me thick" I am having a tough time figuring this out. I wondered if anyone has any tip or help could help me out.

What I need to perform...
I have 4 connections/positions:
1) An empty position lack of connections on other positions (that should be easy just don't add wires to that selection setting).
2) A normally open positive to positive connection that should be closed when position 2 is selected.
3) A normally open negative to negative connection that should be closed when position 3 is selected.
4) A normally closed positive to positive connection that should be closed when position 4 is selected.

NOTE: If 4 is too complicated that is an option, I consider would be nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

After researching this stuff I was thinking perhaps a "3 pole 4 way" rotary switch would fit my needs but can't figure out the details on that. At this point I was considering perhaps just getting a "3 pole 4 way rotary switch" and just playing with it to see if I could make it do what I wanted.

So if anyone has any advice for me on what I need, how to wire it, where to get the supplies I need, just about any information you would consider helpful, I would be very grateful.

I don't think you are really conveying what you want to do well enough. Maybe a better description of the goal or exactly what you are trying to accomplish would help?

Ron

I don't think you are really conveying what you want to do well enough. Maybe a better description of the goal or exactly what you are trying to accomplish would help?

Ron
Thanks for the response, let me try to describe it.

I have a car with a built in GPS system.
I installed a reverse camera, and a module that when turned on overrides the GPS display with RCA input.
I currently/temporarily have a half dozen wires running out from under the dash with 3 toggle switches and I want to make it one rotary switch to control the functionality.

The functionality:
- When no toggle switch is turned on the GPS displays.
- When toggle switch 1 is turned on it overrides GPS and turns on RCA input.
- When toggle switch 2 is turned on it overrides GPS and switch 1 displaying the backup camera. This is also activated when the car is placed in reverse but I would like the option to turn it on manually.
- Toggle 4 (the would be nice to have) is an interrupt to the GPS system turning off GPS tracking.

Hi Drunlar,

use a 3X4 rotary switch and connect in- and outputs as per schematic and PCB-layout.

Boncuk

Attachments

• SW3X4-SCH..gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 196
  • SW3X4..gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 187
I ran into problems.

I ran into problems.

I ended up getting a 3x4 rotary switch. I looked over Boncuk’s attached images and found them very helpful. I hooked up positions 1 through 3 no problem but ran into two problems with 4. Issue 1 is I didn’t do my research good enough and the requirement change =(. Issue two is I don’t think I explained myself needs good enough in that it was an always connected wire that I wanted to break the connection on position selection.

So for position 4 it turns out the voltage is not a common 12 volt it’s 4.2ish. To compensate I just didn’t bridge in connections ‘A’ and ‘C’. I made C the independent in 4.2 volt line. That seemed to be an easy enough solution.

Here is where I am getting confused. For line 4 this wire should be a constant connection and when position 4 is selected on the rotary switch the connection should be broken. The connection would remain broken until any other position is selected then it would be reconnected. The more I think about this the more I believe that 4’s “In line” would be C and 4's out line would be C1, C2, and C3 right? Frankly the only thing stopping me from just trying it out is I know I don’t have a clue as to what I am dong and I don’t want to run out there and fry my GPS system because I didn’t understand how rotary switches work and I hooked up 12v + to a 4.2v line.

Would it be like this:
Pos 4 (GPS interrupt): IN wire = C OUT wire = C1, C2, and C3

The sad truth of how little I know is I have a nice voltmeter with many options and the darn thing usually just confuses me. I do good with just a 12v electrical tester with a fuse in the handle that lights up when I have a current flow but past that... I have a terrible time just finding the setting to let me know if I have current flow or not on that voltmeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…