RS components double charging customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harps

Rs components usually an excellent source for parts with free delivery even on even tiny orders.

howver they have been double charging customers bank accounts for recent orders , they have not informed any customers, not even by email, they wait to see if a customer notices, then apologise and say a refund is on its way . happened to me twice this week, ( no refund,as of yet however) .if you buy from them, please carefully check your bank account for double entries. shocking they are so laid back about it. If you recently spent £100 on parts which took you to your bank account limit. you may now be £100 overdrawn, no joke.

i wouldn't have typed this if they had sent out an email to everyone. why wouldn't they warn people to check their accounts? . Do they not know the fees involved if we go over? anyone know why they would not do this?

peace.

How do they get your bank information? I buy lots of stuff on my credit card and have not had any issues. Whenever anybody wants to sign me up for anything where they automatically debit my bank account I don't just say no, I say HELL NO!

Last edited:
i paid on-line with my card , my card details are stored on their "secure" system with my addeess so i do not have to enter it each and every time i purchase. All I have to do is enter my password and confirm. it is just that they decided to take the funds out x2 on these last couple of purchases .They know all about the so called "computer error". they know the people it has happened to , but they have not emailed anyone to apologise or warn them, they are a massive company, i cant understand the lack of effort/consideration for their mistakes on this. shame cause they were my top shop .love to shop with them.this is really disappointing.

RS Components are a very old reputable company, one of the best in the business - I would say it's impossible that any such action would be deliberate, and I've heard of nothing similar from anyone else.

exactly what i thought. but its deliberate that they have not sent out emails to say sorry or warn us.

the first time it happened they said it was an issue with many customers and the fault was with the computers , apologies and your refund will arrive. great i thought, so i carried on with my life. But yesterday i check my account and it happened once again. hence this thread.

i am off to the bank to stop any further transactions , which is a real pain as i need loads more items from them. : (

Last edited:
I never use Bank Debit Cards, either. Only a Credit Card, where you can have a duplicate charge removed with a just a phone call.

i went to my bank, they say they can to help as it is not fraud . omg , they said "if you go overdrawn you will
be charged" . I think i need to try another branch in town. my card has visa and debit on it by the way.

i shall keep trying.

: )

If you go overdrawn and incur charges as a result, and it's not your fault, then the company who caused the problem are liable for the charges.

.... my card has visa and debit on it by the way...

Your problem is a result of giving "RS Components" the number on the Debit Card. If you had given them the Credit card number instead, then the Credit Card Issuer (likely not your bank) will step in and reverse the disputed charges.

thanks guys ,

mikemi, i only have one 16 digit number on my card : / . i shall keep emailing. : )

If you go overdrawn and incur charges as a result, and it's not your fault, then the company who caused the problem are liable for the charges.

That's true in theory, but in practice you will have to go a long way to seek any compensation from the company who's allegedly at fault. Many will just decline responsibility, refer you back to the bank who will not refund you. Your case would go on unnoticed and you would still end up paying the extra charges unless you are really into a lengthy and expensive investigation. In Singapore many banks will ask for a $20 investigation fees on any debit card claims.

However, my bank would reject all debit card transactions if there's not enough balance in the account - no overdraft allowed. My credit card credit limit is good enough for online purchase and I have never exceeded it before.

Harps,

you seem to be confused about the difference between a Debit Card and a Credit Card. They are not the same. I absolutely refuse to use a Debit Card even though my Credit Union (like a Bank) sends me new ones about every six months. I cut them up with scissors when they arrive.

its a visa debit card

i assumed that when I go overdrawn it turns into a type of visa credit card with monthly interest.

As you just found out, when you give a merchant a Debit Card number, you give them permission to reach directly into your bank account any time they want to and withdraw funds directly. If that causes an overdraft, the bank charges you.

The Debit Card is fraud just waiting to happen. It is only a matter of time before anybody that uses a Debit Card will have the same experience that you just had...

Alternatively, use a prepaid VISA card. Topup only the exact purchase amount before you perform the online transaction. The merchant can't debit you twice for the same transaction unless you topup again.

i have even better than that i have open account net 30 days with a lot of distributor, i only pay at the end of month with credit card or by check. but you must have a company to get open accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…