Run 115v60hz with 240v50hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not smrt enuf

Hi
i need help please ...
I have a 1/4 hp 115vac 60 hz 1725 rpm motor from america and need to power it in australia with 240v 50 hz.
Can this be done? How do i do this please? And will it affect the life of the motor? This motor is hooked directly to a hydraulic pump. If the pump runs reasonably close it will be fine.
i appreciate any help in this matter.
Thank you.

Last edited:
use a step down transformer to 120V 50Hz and the motoe would run slower due to frequency bing less. At lower frequency, the inductance of coils would be rather insufficent. as such, long run it might efeect the motor. nothing might appear immediately except a feeling of slow running motor.
might fall to 1500RPM , i assume.

A little motor like that will work from a 200w or bigger transformer, you could use a power tool transformer just put a plug on the motor that fits the tool transformer and away you go.

The motor will run a little slower at 1440rpm, but I dont think that will affect the application, is the machine a log splitter or car ramp or something?

It would be a standard fix to pull the motor off, take it down the motor shop and buy a same sized motor in 240v 50Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…