Run a 12V fan from 50V rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I built a 50V 2A regulated power supply with variable current, very nice n' all.

But now the 2n3055 transistors on heatsinks get very very hot, and I want to install a 12V computer fan in the case. Please note, I do have a uA7812c regulator, but the input max is 40V.
What shall I do...
Thank you.

How 'bout 4 12-volt fans (identical) in series? You can get them pretty small, and cool multiple transistors.

HaHa, great idea, and I do have about 40 old cpu(the small ones) fans. Thanks, if I don't get anything "regulator related", I'll try your Idea.
Bit of an overkill, but hey...

I think you could use a LM317 regulator. It allows 40 volts from the input to the output. Might be ok if your supply only goes to 50 volts maximum.

Still a lot of power to waste.

Last edited:
by the way, is there a way to make your own high wattage transistors

Care to post your schematic for the power supply...? I wouldn't mind checking it out...

As far as home brew transistors, I would say this is basically a "no" - I remember from tech school that a transistor was approximately something like a couple of diodes connected together (its one way you can test transistors with a meter), but that a working transistor can't be built this way (I don't remember the specifics, but it has to do with the PN junctions being directly connected - as in manufactured that way). I also seem to recall (somewhere) a homebrew transistor (or transistor-like) device being made with salt-water and glass jars or similar; it was more meant as a "science-project" demonstration device, and not something for actual use (not very efficient, and so therefore likely wouldn't meet your desires anyhow).

12 volt fans are pretty forgiving. I would just (as suggested) place a resistor in series with the fan. Note the current at 12 volts and calculate the resistor.

Another option is simply order a 48 VDC fan as they are pretty common. That or use a mains powered fan which is what I likely would have done.

Short of getting involved with more circuits and electronics those are likely the simplest options.

Ron

HAHA, sorry cr0sh, I actually meant REsistors. But now I leart something about transistors as well.
Thanks

I also have a uA7824, which gives its max input voltage as 40V. This looks pretty attractive, should I risk it...?

Hi all.

I am not questioning I am a noob and I am inquisitive .

Why would you pros suggest using a uA7824 (what ever that is) at 50v when it says max V is 40v?.

Like I said I am asking to learn.

Thanks

With about 50 volts I would not think about using any 78 series regulator. However, your call on that note.

Not sure how you got this:

hannobisschoff@gmail.com
I got the resistance (at 50mA) needed as 680ohms 3 Watts.

Most of the 12 volt computer fans I have worked with generally draw about 150 to 160 mA with 12 volts applied. Therefore I see:

50 - 12 / .160 = 237.5 Ohms so around a 240 Ohm resistor rated at about 6 watts so use a 10 watt resistor.

Even if you were to use a 7824 24 volt regulator then what? Now you have 24 VDC and a 12 volt fan. Are 220 VAC fans that hard to find in SA? I assume you have 220 VAC mains?

Ron

I was thinking I could then just hook two fans in series. It would also help for airflow. And my fan drew 50mA when I measured it.
Yes, we have 220V in SA. Well, the reason I don't want to use a 220V fan, is because that would be a bit of an overkill, I have a LOT of 12v computer fans, and the noise levels in my psu would be quite high with a 220V fan.

Thanks for the responses.

Hi all.

I am not questioning I am a noob and I am inquisitive .

Why would you pros suggest using a uA7824 (what ever that is) at 50v when it says max V is 40v?.

Like I said I am asking to learn.

Thanks

The uA 7824 is a positive voltage regulator. Generally , if you see "78" in a part number, it's a voltage regulator.

I think you could use a LM317 regulator. It allows 40 volts from the input to the output. Might be ok if your supply only goes to 50 volts maximum.
The problem is that, at startup, there may be 50V across the regulator momentarily until the fan gets up to speed. That could be enough to blow the regulator.

Fairchild LM317AHVT Vin up to 60 volts (note AHVT)
TI TL783CKCSE3 Vin 21 to 150 volts
TL783CKC
ST Micro VB409 12 to 500 volts (low current)
Will need heat sink!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…