Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rusty inductor laminations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a gen set that was abandoned by the former owner, found in a corner of the shed and brought back to life a few years ago.

It uses one of the new style "ignition modules", as opposed to the old points magneto setup. As far as I can tell a sweeping magnet on the flywheel couples then collapses a mag field in the coil core, generating HV, although sweeping a magnet across one of these units on the bench appears to do nothing.

This module regularly "fails", and on a whim during the initial necromance, I cleaned the rust from the business end of the laminations that oppose the magnet. Voila!

Same again today.

Anyone know why rust on the core appears to be a failure mode? Permeability something? Shunt something?

Is the same true for old tube gear input trafo's? I've salvaged a few over the decades, now a bit rough and rusty to the eye - I'd hate to pooch one powering it up if it should be filed shiny.

(MOT's seem to get along fine with the laminations welded together)

As well, these ignition modules. Sure, I know there other ways, but they don't seem to be shielded. Kind of looks like a "primary" winding added externally may make them of some tinker use?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back