Ryobi 4v cordless drill not charging

spike47

Hi
Sorry not been into electronics for quite awhile so a bit slow !.
Have a Ryobi 4v cordless drill, problem not charging, voltage at input 6.2v, voltage to battery 2.28v !, what do I have to check in between ?.

cheers
Spike

Hi
It is now sorted, there was a polarity problem, checked polarity on the transformer outlet plug and that is showing + Positive for the centre pin on the plug and - Negative on the outer casing of the plug, but when I checked the conection to the board it is opposite, how is that possible for the socket on the pcb to change the polarity ?.
cut socket off and wired direct to board and whallah now charging phew.
I am still baffled has to how that can possibly happen.

Thanks again for all your help and time.

cheers
Spike

Are you using the original official charger? - if so, then it can't.

However, the original charger for that (assuming it's the same as we have at work) is long since obsolete, and the replacements are a generic item (of a 'vaguely' similar voltage) - this replacement has a polarity reversal connector in the lead, it seems likely it's been unplugged and re-plugged back in the wrong way?.

I've had two replacements at work, from different sources, and both were exactly the same types - we had two because we've recently moved units, and no one knows what we did with the first replacement supply, so we had to order another.

Hi
It must be something in the socket that had broken or something, I didn't check the polarity no reason to, it just didn't charge when I plugged it in, I use it at least a couple of times a week, so had a lot of use, it is very weird, should of taken pics to show you, will wire plug back on to see if it is still showing the same results .

cheers
Spike

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…