Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Safe Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

robin1987

Hey all, Newbie here :D

I am a person who dose weird projects with his free time, I am a programmer NOT an electrician (Hence why i here :p )

I have reciently purchesed a Safe from **broken link removed**
I am planing to link the safe to my computer so i can override the damn thing, this is sort of like a fail safe thingy, I have made a basic key pad program that i can run of my computer to access the safe (weird project ey?)

Im just a bit stumped on were to start, i have no idea what type of connection i will need to saulder to the Safe's circut, Im planning to connect the safe to the computer through USB, But like i said im no electrician i have no idea what type if material i will need or even if this is possible.

Could you give me any pointers on were to start?

Many thanks for reading this far ;)

Robin

It already comes with two keys to override the electronc lock, so the feature you're trying to add already exists in the product... If you're set on doing this anyways just to be able to open the safe with your computer you'll first have to disassemble the safe's electronics so that you can see what's going on inside. I'm sure it's some very simple solenoid which does the actual work which would be extremely easy to interface to a computer with. Get the thing apart, take a lot of decent pictures and post a link or the pictures directly here so that we can take a look at them and it should be a fairly simple project.
Another good place to start is purchasing one of the recommend begginer electronics books that users here recommend, I think there are some sticky threads for recommend noob reading material, and even a bad book is going to teach you something if you keep plugging at it and asking questions here when you're truly stumped. There are ungodly amounts of only resources on beginners electronics, remember Google is your friend. The only book I've ever read on electronics is "Teach yourself Elecricity and Electronics 2nd edition" which isn't the greatest (so I found out afterwards) it's a little dated and focuses a bit too much on the obscure math and teaching circuits (a circuit if built wouldn't actually do anything) But it teaches enough of the basics to get you started (and it always helps to have a real paper book to sit down and read)

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
It already comes with two keys to override the electronc lock, so the feature you're trying to add already exists in the product

Lol, I know, like i said i am a person who does weird projects in his spare time, It's not the fact that i am doing a pointless thing, it's the fact that i am trying new things and learning somthing :D

I've got a couple of books releated to Electronics, but i wouldnt exactly call them books for n0obs, there more on the advanced side of things :(

I will get the safe apart and take a few snap shots for ya,

Thanks Sceadwian :)

Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back